Are 2 roosters (cockerels?) to 13 hens (pullets?) a livable ratio?

Mar 22, 2020
Chesterton, Indiana
This is our 1st year with chickens. They are now just over 17 weeks old; somebody has started egg-laying, hence I'm not sure if they qualify for their adult names yet. We ended up with 2 males, Chief and Brownie, both Gold Laced Wyandotts. The remaining flock consists of 1 female Gold Laced Wyandott, 3 Australorps, 3 Amberlinks, 3 Plymouth Barred Rocks, 3 Silver Laced Wyandotts. The coop is 6' x 8', raised up, inside their protected yard 12' x 30', enclosed on the sides with <5/8" square wire fencing, and covered on top with 2 x 2" wire fencing. It's inside our fenced portion of the yard, with wire on the ground outside. We have potential predators - fox, coyote, hawks, owls, raccoons around, which is why we tried to build a very secure yard.
All along, I've said I'm happy with 1 rooster (we have enough property that it's legal in our town), but I didn't want 2 roosters. My soft-hearted husband doesn't want to cull Brownie (Chief is obviously top rooster - bigger, 1st to crow, 1st to dance around the pullets, basically acting like Big Man). We haven't tried to give him away...because of course people are always trying to give away roosters.
So is it possible the 2 roosters can live peaceably? Or are we going down the path of pain-causing aggression between them?
My husband is working on expanding their range, planning on an 8' tall wire fence enclosure, but no fence over the top. We have 2 8x8' shade canopies that he plans on setting up so they can have shade / something to duck under if / when threatened by hawks. This larger area would be adjacent to what they have now, so they can still access the coop and nest boxes. Would creating this larger, but less secure, area, make the 2 roosters / 13 hen combination any more tenable?

Attachments

• CoopJuly22_2020.JPG
    CoopJuly22_2020.JPG
    996.3 KB · Views: 28
  • YardJuly22_2020.JPG
    YardJuly22_2020.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 14
So is it possible the 2 roosters can live peaceably?
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Not only can 2 live together.. 15 can live together peacefully..:eek: it ALL depends on the individuals. Many folks on here keep stag pens or cock flocks including myself.. though mine is only maintained for eating and breeding.

As LONG as the hens aren't being over mated.. keeping two roos CAN be good or bad and they WILL go through phases.

My most recent flock of Bielefelder.. have just turned 23-24 weeks old. I haven't seen an egg yet. I have 2 boys and only 4 ladies. The boys have had their first battle to determine who will be top cock.. Both are bloody and it looks worse than it is. No swollen shut eyes or other really good injuries. They go to roost together at night and stand by the door in the morning together. A small squabble ensues but end before long and they stay basically in a flock together while ranging. In fact both had recently been dropping a wing and testing ME but now they're focused on each other.. and yes, my pet sitter said what started it was both trying to mate the same pullet.. which none of the pullets are willingly squatting yet despite the boys calling them to treats, wing drop shuffle dancing and all.

I was thinking about going down to 1 the other day since Bielefelder aren't extremely rare or hard to find. Usually I like to keep not less than 2 roosters per breed or variety that I'm working with.. as sometimes they aren't easily replaceable and I need a back up if something happens to #1.

Inside your enclosed space make sure to add extra visual barriers to interrupt their direct line of sight as this help a lot. More space is ALWAYS a good thing and it gives a subordinate room to get away and show their respect to the others space when needed.

I do have squabbles among my boys.. as any siblings will eventually find something to disagree about. The majority have been very minor. At only 17 weeks old.. your earlier maturing boy MIGHT not stay top cuz the other may eventually decide he's ready to step up. Pecking orders change and SO does "friendliness"! My friendliest lap cockerel was my favorite bird of course.. until he started attacking me.. when you get rid of one it might change the other boys demeanor. I personally would wait.

Shade canopy isn't a good cover from hawks per say, include LOW lying obstacles for better coverage. My birds won't hang out under tall trees with wide open ground.. they go for the bushes with low lying branches instead.

Final word.. it ALL depends on the BOYS.. but if you have any hope of them living happily ever after.. do NOT remove one out of the flock site or when he comes back the other will likely have staked his claim and start a battle. So if you NEED to remove one and plan to return him, then remove both and keep them together, returning them at the same time.

In the past, ALL my boys went into the stag pen to gain some maturity and manners before allowed to engage the ladies. Cockerels are feisty and have lots of raging hormones they are still learning to control. You can always use a time out pen if your ladies need a short break. Some folks use saddles on their hens, I intervene way before that, There are lots of ways for roosters to peacefully coexist.. Ultimately it their choice.

Okay, one more thing! :oops:

All the numbers and predictions really don't matter.. even with an excellent gender ratio if a boy has a favorite or both boys have a favorite hen then she could be the only one over mated.. so we educate ourselves and do OUR best. :)

Last edited:
This is our 1st year with chickens. They are now just over 17 weeks old; somebody has started egg-laying, hence I'm not sure if they qualify for their adult names yet. We ended up with 2 males, Chief and Brownie, both Gold Laced Wyandotts.

Oooh! Please can I see pictures?

Okay, on topic.

I’m brand new to chickens too (April of this year), but I have a good friend who has multiple roosters for a few years.

Every now and then they have some little fights that I’ve witnessed. One always challenges and then he falls over and pretends he is dead.

I sometimes think he is just a roughhousing brother and the top guy is annoyed and doesn’t put up with that foolishness.

The playing dead part is hilarious though. He does it every time.

Back
Top Bottom