Are 2 roosters too many?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by yoie, Mar 25, 2011.

1. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

I currently have 14 chicks in the coop (ranging from 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 weeks), still trying to narrow it down to the keepers. I cannot decide on two boys, they are both very pretty and sweet. In the end I will have about 12 chickens in the coop is 2 boys to much for 10 hens?

2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    You may just be all right, especially with the boys raised together. I have five roosters to about thirty hens in one of my coops (and eleven roosters overall, haha). They get along just fine.

3. ShadowRooster

ShadowRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    claremont, NH
    In my "I dont know what to do with" coop, I have three older hens and three boys. All live together fine.

-stinks at culling- [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  5. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for all the input and links. I guess I'll keep the two boys for now and see how it goes.

6. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I have 20 bantams: 11 bantam easter eggers and 9 bantam blue silkies. S/R. All 5 weeks old and have been together and mixed since we got them. I'm planning on keeping them all together until I can afford to separate for breeding purposes, which may now be a year or maybe the end of the summer. So ... no clue how many are girls and how many are boys. Hoping they all figure it out because I don't want to get rid of any boys!

Your 2 should be good, especially if they are growing up together. They may, close to sexual maturity, have a little "fight" to figure out who's top roo, but otherwise, should be ok.

Just my 2 cents.

7. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    We used to have 6 with 15 hens. They all got along fine, even though the roos were all different ages. As long as they establish the top roo at a young age, the other one will just go along with it. We have gotten very lucky with our roosters and all were very well behaved and we loved to hear them all crow in unison. We just sold off our old ones except for 5 and one roo(but then went and bought 12 new chicks)

8. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    you should be fine

9. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I have 15 roos and 25? hens, though some of the roos are too young, while 5 are separate because they are new. So, idk, to me not too many. Only two of my Roos get hens, any others are chased off and told to act like hens or get lost, lol.

10. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Im hoping for the best. I ORDERED 15 girls and a boy. I HAVE 12 girls and 4 boys. They are 8 weeks old and there is no question who the boss is at this point. I hope they can all get along and none are nasty to people cause they are really pretty. If not then off to "freezer camp" as I keep reading.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by