Are 4 roos too many for my flock

kmom246

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 20, 2008
Nevada
Another "hen" started growing spurs and a long tail this week. So that means I have 24 hens and 4 roos. Originally I was going to eat extra roos and just keep two... but, alas, I am wimping out. The hens and roos are all 5 months old and have a 16 x 16 foot coop with 8 foot ceilings and various roosts to jump up and down on. The coop sits in a 50 x 50 foot pen and they periodically get to destroy my 50 x 75 ft garden area. So far, after a few minor skirmishes, the Alpha roo is now undisputed. And his Number 2 is also pretty secure in his place. Nos 3 & 4 act more like hens than roos, but they crow, look like roos and are now growing spurs. But like I said, they "act" like hens. Do you think this bunch can live in harmony?

Many chicky blessings to you all.

I know what you mean about whimping out. If we didn't have a processor a couple towns over, I'd have alot more roos. Sounds like you have alot of space.... and my thoughts are it depends on what breeds you are keeping... but my advice to you is to give it a try. If it doesn't work maybe one of the roos can be rehomed.

Culled the two roos that became mean and the one mean hen. (2 hens previously were killed by dogs) Litterally within the hour, the flock became more peaceful. The ratio is now 10:1. I will pen the hens I wish to breed from with the alph male with a ratio of 6:1 for a month in the late spring to make sure my hatching eggs are "his." Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Sounds like a plan! Glad you flock is now 'playing nice'.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom