Are All Appenzeller Spitzhaubens Friendly Or Did I Just Really...

Yeah my DS named him that...He said it looks like you threw him against a wall and his colors went splat. Of course this is the same boy that named his bunny Gravy because she is the color of turkey gravy.

Oh wow Ewesheep!!!! Those are so pretty. Yours are more like they are supposed to look like, mine looks like a Polish to me but Spitz is what Meri was told they were so that's what I'll stick with, and that is what girls I'll get for him...It is really hard to tell the difference when the males have too much feathering on their head like he does. We love him he is such a nerd!

OMG SPLAT is beautiful!

I am down to only three 2 roos and a Hen (Don King, The Sultan, and Gertrude) My mother hand raised Don King so he was used to being picked up and held, but they all are much calmer than my EEs

However my EEs did not contract the respiratory problems that my Spitz have and have been doctoring them, but just don't think that the Spitz have as strong of an immune system as my others do. Do any of yall have any input on that?

Quote:
Thanks
big_smile.png

Splat hasn't had any respiratory problems since I have had him. Although he does shake his head alot so he can see...
tongue.png
But my BR roo just can't seem to shake it. He has had a resp problem twice this winter, both times when it got really cold then warm. I medicated him the last time but this time I am giving him a few drops of VetRX in the evenings and rubbing it under his wings, on his chest and on his comb and head. I did give him a concentrated dose of Tylan orally for two days but don't want to continuously use antibiotics as I'm afaid he may become resistant to it. He is looking better but still has a little loose flem sound once in a while, and his comb isn't purplish anymore so he is breathing better I guess. I also bought some turmeric to add to the feed. It is supposed to build immune systems in the birds. Hope it works.

Last edited:
Well they were not supposed to have Polish heads but more like mohawks. I had to CULL so heavy when I got those chicks and I am expecting more of them in 19 more days....I hope I will have a good hatch. These are not hatchery birds, one group is from Carla's TX (allenwranch) lines and the other one is directly from Carla from OK.

They are not cheap but tell you what, they are very healthy birds and nor I ever had a sick one either.

Splat is a cool looking rooster, but he does have a lot of Polish in him.

You are fortunate your birds are tame. As a breed, Spitz are not real touchy feely. A few of my hens are friendly, and the roos are totally non-aggressive to humans UNLESS I pick up one of the hens and she starts swawking.

Love them Spitz !

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the folks that sold them to Mojo Chik'n just kinda guessed on the breed by the color of the birds, or they are mixed and didn't tell her that so they could sell them, and they were real young too I believe when she bought them from that person because she was told it was a boy and two girls and they ended up to be all boys. If I went by the leg color I'd guess Polish too because I noticed the two breeds have contrasting leg colors too on some. I'll still get him a couple Spitz girlys for him and put him in his own pen probably just so he'll leave the bantam Leghorn alone. Maybe I'll get him a couple Silver Polish as well.

Quote:
I haven't got a rooster yet but I sure hope he would come running to see whats up with his ladies!

My two girls are not touchy feely but they would tolerate you being close to them unless you got a piece of bread in your hands. They got personality too!

I do rely on Carla's expertise in Spitzhaubens and try to go as much as the requirements goes for the Spitzhauben's standard of perfections and desirable temperments, placements, etc. and culling out the Polish looking poms on their heads. Its a start that we have to deal with to correct the breed's desirable traits needed. I know the Europeans got two different looking spangles going on over there LOL!

I got mine frm OKCarla and the pullets are more inquistive(or tolerant) of me. I can pet them and pick them up and they could care less. My cockerals avoid me, but if I pick them up when I first feed them they don't mind. I got them because my daughter saw dipsydoodledoo's avatar and begged for them, but I will say I am glad I got them
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom