Are any of the small coop kits actually worth it?

Opiumbrella

Songster
Jul 30, 2021
Looking for a coop for my daughters new bantam chicks, when they are old enough to go outside. Want to get her a coop kit to build for her b day but am skeptical of the kits (300$ and under budget) and of they are worth the money.
Has anyone used any of them? Or have any ideas of what would be a good alternative? Thanks.

Most of the prefab coops/kits are not well designed(too small, bad ventilation and weather proofing).
They are also usually not made of quality materials.
I can't recommend a great one, but kudos to you for being a buyer beware.

How many chicks do you have?
Will you build a run too?
Sometimes the tiny coops can be fine if protected from the weather by a good run.

Would help us to help you if we know.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1632484313033.png

Welcome to BYC. Congratulations on your wise skepticism.

I haven't seen one at the farm store that I'd pay $10 for and there are some that I might reject if I was offered one for free because they're so cheaply made.

As @aart said, knowing your general location will make it easier to give good advice, but my first thought for you is a hoop coop.

I have a cheap prefab. (Replacing with a shed next Friday - yay!) I could only recommend them for:
- a couple of banties
- inside a sheltered, predator-proof location
- if you're willing to add ventilation and make other modifications. ( I raised a couple of the roosts, improved the ramp and made a screen door for summer.)
- if you are able to give the girls access to more space most days. Those runs are tiny!

I am having a chicken shed built because my carpentry skills suck, but that's an expensive way to go. If you or a helper are handy, there are lots of great ideas and plans on BYC. I can never figure out how to share a link to the coop page, but I'm sure someone else will!

Looking for a coop for my daughters new bantam chicks, when they are old enough to go outside. Want to get her a coop kit to build for her b day but am skeptical of the kits (300$ and under budget) and of they are worth the money.
Has anyone used any of them? Or have any ideas of what would be a good alternative? Thanks.
I’ve looked at them, but decided to pass. Not everyone can build their own coop, but I find most of the pre made ones over-priced and not secure at all.

I use a small prefab coop/run inside my large coop/run for integration of chicks and to let small batches of brooder chicks out on the grass. Not big enough for full grown birds.
You can use many things to build a chicken coop, tons of great ideas here on BYC. You do not have to be a professional carpenter/builder to build many of them.

I use a small prefab coop/run inside my large coop/run for integration of chicks and to let small batches of brooder chicks out on the grass. Not big enough for full grown birds.
You can use many things to build a chicken coop, tons of great ideas here on BYC. You do not have to be a professional carpenter/builder to build many of them.
That actually sounds like a good idea, using a small prefab inside a large coop or run! I wasn’t trying to be snobby. My husband and I build everything ourselves using re-purposed lumber, tin roofing and siding, etc. 😁

That actually sounds like a good idea, using a small prefab inside a large coop or run! I wasn’t trying to be snobby. My husband and I build everything ourselves using re-purposed lumber, tin roofing and siding, etc. 😁
We made a hoop coop out of an old trampoline! Another one out of a dog run! Anything is possible😊

Back
Top Bottom