Are any of the small coop kits actually worth it?

Looking for a coop for my daughters new bantam chicks, when they are old enough to go outside. Want to get her a coop kit to build for her b day but am skeptical of the kits (300$ and under budget) and of they are worth the money.
Has anyone used any of them? Or have any ideas of what would be a good alternative? Thanks.
We made a hoop coop out of an old trampoline! Another one out of a dog run! Anything is possiblešŸ˜Š
Hi! Check out "egglu" they are sturdy and VERY convenient to clean, easy to move. A big pain in the butt to put together and a little pricey though. It came in many sections with multiple instruction books. Other than that it has been great.

Hi! Check out "egglu" they are sturdy and VERY convenient to clean, easy to move. A big pain in the butt to put together and a little pricey though. It came in many sections with multiple instruction books. Other than that it has been great.

As far as quality of manufacture, Eglus may well be the best of the kit coops. But they are still short on ventilation and short on floor space for the number of chickens they claim to hold.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do! We aquired our first chickens last march and decided to build our own coop using the simple suburban living free plans. I am sure we were just like everyone else, we put scores of hours into researching coops and found very few people that we happy with their pre-fab coops.

Another alternative that seems to come up frequently is to buy small shed and modify it and add a run to it.

I still remember shopping all of the prefab coops on tractor supply's website and then went to the store to look at them. they had one setup in the store. at first I thought it was a scaled down display model... they make them look so big in the pictures...

If you are able to build something yourself I would highly recommend it.

WEBSITE/CATALOG PICTURE
1632761147361.png

REAL LIFE PICTURE
Real life picture

I use prefab a lot. Have 3 built now, 1 more to build in a few weeks and probably one last one next year.

Are they perfect? Absolutely not.
Do they comfortably hold what they claim? Absolutely not
Can they work for calm, smaller groups of birds? Yes.

I currently have in my 3: a pair of cockerels in one, a pair of bresse an Orpington pullet in one, and 5 bantams (1 male, 4 females) in one.

I like the new Setenal (sp?) The best. Metal frame, and it takes me and my mom only a few hours to build. But it severely lacks ventilation and only works for me because I don't close the coop door.
20210918_082921.jpg
20210918_082917.jpg

I use prefab a lot. Have 3 built now, 1 more to build in a few weeks and probably one last one next year.

Are they perfect? Absolutely not.
Do they comfortably hold what they claim? Absolutely not
Can they work for calm, smaller groups of birds? Yes.

I currently have in my 3: a pair of cockerels in one, a pair of bresse an Orpington pullet in one, and 5 bantams (1 male, 4 females) in one.

I like the new Setenal (sp?) The best. Metal frame, and it takes me and my mom only a few hours to build. But it severely lacks ventilation and only works for me because I don't close the coop door.
View attachment 2848433View attachment 2848434
Thanks for sharing your experiences ... you look like you are in a much dryer and warmer climate...... SouthWest USA?

Back
Top Bottom