Are backyard chicken pets the same as Agricultural Poultry?

6chickens in St. Charles :

Anybody with definitions out there? Can backyard chicken pets really be called "agriculture" or "agricultural poultry"?

Yes, of course, but that does not mean that they necesarily are. Look at definitions as defined in city code. Also, if the regulation that prohibits "agricutural chickens" is new, and you and others have legally had chickens previously you are likely grandfathered in.​

I'm pretty sure they just mean industrial uses, like production farming of eggs or meat. A couple backyard hens I doubt is considered agriculture, especially with today's rise in urban chicken keeping.

Thank you all for replies! Another neighbor, who is nearly ready for chicks, went straight to the city after hearing the gossip guy's rant. The city told her the code he's gossiping about is indeed intended to keep large scale poultry production facilities out of the city limits. They assured my good chicken-lovin neighbor that backyard chickens are still welcome in the city of St. Charles Illinois.
thumbsup.gif

The answer to your question depends on who you are asking. The zoning officer on my case sees no difference between the two. And even 1 bird is agriculture according to him.

I know I did a code lookup online (I'm sure you could too) and for my town, I could have up to 6 hens and no roosters before I had to worry about being considered "agricultural" Just do a code look up and search for poultry. Not everything will apply to you. Only be concerned about what applies to "residential zone" or what would cause you to be considered a different zone, etc, etc.

-David

It's some folks' perception of chickens that cracks me up. When I mention that I have 5 chickens (spoiled rotten pets, like yours I'm sure since they're stealing your cookies...lol), one of the first things out of their mouths is "Oh, do you live on a farm?" So most DO view chickens in an agricultural light, I think.

Quote:
Then it is likely that your town does not allow chickens in residential areas. The zoning officer does not make the law; he enforces the law as passed by your city council.

I am not under any town zoning. This is all zoned rural and under county zoning only. Just a heads up to anyone living in Franklin County, Ohio on a parcel of less than 1 acre. There's only 2 zoning officers for the whole county and both consider even 1 bird to be agricultural.

When this area was a village, agriculture was permitted. There were even chickens here when we bought this place. A guy down the street had a cow on .7something of an acre. Lots of people raised chickens or rabbits for meat. Since the county took over it's all illegal on 1 acre or less. I won't say how much illegal agriculture is going on down here but there is a lot of it. I would estimate that 90% of them have no idea they are illegal. After all, the village allowed it. But the county does not.

As many people have said, you can't just asume that because everyone else is doing it, it is legal. You really need to call and keep calling. I would not start with the township trustees, or the village board of development, or the old timers that have lived there forever, or the city board of health. They can all say it's legal and all be wrong. Start with zoning and don't stop asking until you get a definitive yes or no.

I know people who live in Ohio on more than an acre and livestock is still prohibited on their property because it is in a different zone. But by Ohio law, once you have more than 5 acres agriculture cannot be prohibited. That is state law. All cities, towns, and villages must abide by state law.

Ag Poultry probably means poultry houses. These house can hold 25,000 birds without much effort. These ordinances are to keep odor and ag traffic down, not to keep you from having a few backyard chickens. If he really wants to take it to the city let him. It's his time and effort and the city will shut him down because he's wasting their time. I don't think you'd lose your chickens over an angry "Mr. Wilson."

Back
Top Bottom