Are Biggger Hens Usually More Dominant?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenPeep, Aug 9, 2013.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hello!
    I am buying a new hen that is a little bigger than my other 3 hens. I was wondering, since she is bigger, will she automatically be highest on the pecking order? I don't want things to change too much.
    Thanks! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    I noticed in my flock it depends on the additude of the chicken.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't think that her size will automatically make her dominant. The lead hen of your current flock will probably challenge her, no matter her size. However, if she is larger, and has a confident, ambitious, attitude, she will probably become the dominant hen.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Size doesn't matter near so much to animals. I've had a little game hen who absolutely ran the entire flock of large hens, and a bantam cochin rooster who stood down a barred rock rooster.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog lol

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Nope. I've got three bantams and added four large faverolles. One of the bantams is a cranky thing and has remained top of the pecking order. So I think it has to do with personality as much as anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by