Are Broody Hens Good at Math?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by macdoogle2, Dec 7, 2011.

1. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I have eggs under two broody hens (as well as some in an incubator) due to hatch this weekend. I was wondering when should I pull the chicks to sell them? I know hatcheries ship chicks as day olds so, should I take the chicks from the hens as soon as they are dry?. Also, I want to let the hens keep some of the babies that they worked so hard for. What is a good number of chicks to keep the mamas happy? I was thinking 3 each.

As I write this I realize I should not count my chicks before they hatch! I may not get any. Just want to be prepared!

2. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    You can pull the chicks once they have dried off. And 2 or 3 would be a good number to let the mothers have, she will be happy as long as she has a few. And I love that saying you used lol [​IMG] I use it all the time...people look at me like Im crazy [​IMG] not sure why [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    They cant. My silkie had two eggs under her last hatch and they hatched and i stuck two more under her, LOL. My lakenvelder hatched out 5 babies and i sold 4 and she was happy as could be with that one, who is now 3 months old and they are still inseparable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by