Are cats real predators are just PESTS

Has cat killed a chicken?

• Cat preyed upon and killed a chicken.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Cat has frightened chickens into injuring themselves.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cat is just an unwelcome pest.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Quote:
And you should see how secure her chickens are.

It just ticks me off how everyone compares a cat raised with chickens to a cat that will trespass and kill your birds. And she has beautiful and expensive birds.

Remember when you sit there and tell people it can't happen and then it does, you have not done them any favors, but set them up for heartache.

It may not happen to you, but it does happen, sp please stop trying to make it sound like they can't kill a grown bird.

Happened again today. I have a pullet with NO neck feathers. A cat was somewhere in my yard while I was out there and it was bold enough to grab her with me out there! Luckily I hit it before it could get more thana mouth full of feathers, but there's a big patch now. This is a 4 month old, good sized bird. Not a little chick. Matter of fact her name if Fat Chick! Nothin scrawny about her.

My dislike of cats did start before chickens. I would have fragrant flowers in my yard. I have big dogs and a doggy doolie and I clean up all the time, but I like my yard to smell good. That's where the cats would poop. In my flower beds, under windows, and then there was the time they kept climbing under my house. Nothing like cat poop coming through your vents. I was so embarased once when someone came to my house and put their nose up and said "Oh you have a cat." "No, but someone who doesn't care about one or other people has one." There are just too many of them and shouldn't be. I had show cats at one time. Not a lot of them, but a few and never more than 3 at a time. You couldn't walk in my house and know I had even one. I'd raise MAYBE a litter a year and most times none. But, not have one and have to smell that horrible cat poop from someone else's and your house can smell like there's a litter box somewhere. I rather smell chicken poop and both are worse than dog poop.

Quote:

It just ticks me off how everyone compares a cat raised with chickens to a cat that will trespass and kill your birds. And she has beautiful and expensive birds.

Remember when you sit there and tell people it can't happen and then it does, you have not done them any favors, but set them up for heartache. It may not happen to you, but it does happen, sp please stop trying to make it sound like they can't kill a grown bird.

Happened again today. I have a pullet with NO neck feathers. A cat was somewhere in my yard while I was out there and it was bold enough to grab her with me out there! Luckily I hit it before it could get more thana mouth full of feathers, but there's a big patch now. This is a 4 month old, good sized bird. Not a little chick. Matter of fact her name if Fat Chick! Nothin scrawny about her.

My dislike of cats did start before chickens. I would have fragrant flowers in my yard. I have big dogs and a doggy doolie and I clean up all the time, but I like my yard to smell good. That's where the cats would poop. In my flower beds, under windows, and then there was the time they kept climbing under my house. Nothing like cat poop coming through your vents. I was so embarased once when someone came to my house and put their nose up and said "Oh you have a cat." "No, but someone who doesn't care about one or other people has one." There are just too many of them and shouldn't be. I had show cats at one time. Not a lot of them, but a few and never more than 3 at a time. You couldn't walk in my house and know I had even one. I'd raise MAYBE a litter a year and most times none. But, not have one and have to smell that horrible cat poop from someone else's and your house can smell like there's a litter box somewhere. I rather smell chicken poop and both are worse than dog poop.

Amen!

There are just too many of them and shouldn't be. I had show cats at one time. Not a lot of them, but a few and never more than 3 at a time. You couldn't walk in my house and know I had even one. I'd raise MAYBE a litter a year and most times none. But, not have one and have to smell that horrible cat poop from someone else's and your house can smell like there's a litter box somewhere. I rather smell chicken poop and both are worse than dog poop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:

Remember when you sit there and tell people it can't happen and then it does, you have not done them any favors, but set them up for heartache. It may not happen to you, but it does happen, sp please stop trying to make it sound like they can't kill a grown bird.

Amen!

X100000000600000000000.999999
Good grief. Someone laid it down like it is. Real stuff here.

Today I went out to check on my chickens while they were free ranging, and I saw something move inside the coop that wasn't feathered.
ep.gif
I grabbed my BB gun and ran out there and a cat actually had the nerve to go inside the coop looking for a meal I bet.
somad.gif
I've seen this cat stalking my chickens before and have given it the garden hose treatment, but it obviously hasn't deterred them. Since the cat was blocked in the coop I had time to take a well-aimed shot and hit the varmint right on the nose/face area.
bun.gif
I could hear it moaning from someone's backyard a few houses down.
yippiechickie.gif

I'm not sure if the cat could/would hurt any of my chickens, but I'm not taking any chances. Hopefully the thing learned it's lesson and won't come back.

My next door neighbor has a LARGE male cat that not only doesn't bother any of my chickens, it does a fair job of keeping other cats out of my yard. He's not here always though, and some do come to visit but my girls usually run them off. I say "usually" because I have seen one or two strays come back a few times before giving up. Those are usually ones that have been dumped somewhere close by and are just young though. I voted "pest" but really the people that dump them are the irresponsible pests.

I didn't vote because all but all of the cats I've known love/loved my chickens. The other one feared them. Never harmed them. I've certainly read exceptions to this benign and even positive relationship in other people's posts so would not presume to say all cats are harmless. Caution is wise until the nature of a cat's intentions is known. I wouldn't trust a kitty with very young or very small birds. JJ

Back
Top Bottom