Are certain breeds known for being more vocal than others?

amsunshine

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
Kansas
As mentioned in a previous post, I have a BO who is very chatty, and even reprimands me for coming home late after she goes to up to "bed" (roost). When I'm holding her, she is very chatty too, and curious--even watching a Snapfish slide show on my computer with great interest (it was of my friend's kids).

My Australorp is only slightly chatty, but definitely has something loud to say when she gets her shorts in a knot. I was holding her the other day and she saw a shadow of a bug on the window outside my closed blinds, and she whirred on seeing that.

My EE is very quiet, not chatty at all, but you can't mistake her outbursts when she gets picked up, when another chicken tees her off, etc.

Is this typical of the breeds?

I don't have Austrolorps or Orpingtons, so I really can't say...but my cochins, and brahmas are VERY docile...unless you step on them you will not know they are there...they love to cuddle around me when I go into the hen house.

I had 2 Black Australorps that I finally re-homed because they were so noisy. I got tired of listening to them. I have a BO that is a little over a year old. She is very quiet. I have another one that is about 12 weeks old and she seems to make a lot more noise than the older one. My EE's are very quiet.

The noisiest bird that I currently have is a White Leghorn. She sounds like a dinosaur roaring (at least based on what Hollywood thinks they sounded like). In general most of my 1 year old birds are pretty quiet except when they are laying an egg.

It is too soon to tell how noisy my younger birds will be.

Back
Top Bottom