Are certain breeds less susceptible to hawk attack?

Lost a lovely 18 month old Lavender silkie (Madge) day before yesterday to a young Red Tail Hawk. Over the last 10 years have lost 4 or 5 birds (out of a flock of + or - 20)to hawk and eagle, rooster or no rooster. I have raised Cochin and Silkies of all color combos and it has been my experience that the colored hens go first. I have never lost a rooster to predators. My birds free range in a forested and fenced 2 acres which has some good sized clearings amid the big Fir trees. These areas are where my chickens become viable prey for raptors. In the largest of those clearings I have suspended a scarecrow that moves (dances) with the wind. All winged predation has stopped in that area. My hen Madge was at in a clearing at the fenced edge of the property when she became lunch to a beautiful young Red Tail. I chased it off as it tried to carry the half eaten hen but dropped it as it took off. Sad but but deeply moving considering the struggle for life that all creatures must face. I will keep the birds in their covered run for the next week to encourage the hawk to look elsewhere, but I know it will return. I am planning to replace my rooster who recently passed in the spring, so I guess for the time being I am the rooster. Also I will set up another spooky mobile scarecrow in the clearing near the fence. Thats about it though. Free ranging makes my flock so happy and healthy that the risk of loss is worth the trouble. (Except of course for the poor victim of prey/predator relations)

R.I.P Madge, you were a good little girl, a good egg layer. Its been a pleasure and honor to know you, may the ground rest lightly on your body.
38332_img_1369.jpg

Quote:
I thought Thailand was still with predators. They are still discovering new species in at least parts of that region. I do like my predators. They keep you on your toes.

I think most of their predators walk on two legs! DIL is from the northern part of Thailand and it is mostly just small villages there, where people life mostly a subsistence lifestyle. Her sister and parents came to visit last fall. It was an experience, to say the least, having them here. We made cider, butchered chickens, picked the field corn patch, (I grow it for chickens and pigs), took them fishing in a farm pond went camping and many other activities while they were here. We wished we could keep them, but there was the language issue and they were ready to get home to take care of their gardens and stuff.

Sorry about your hen "Trinityfly"

Last edited:
This has been a really informative thread. THANK YOU! Come to think of it, some of my big fir trees dropped some huge branches when we had snow. I never would have thought about dragging those out for the chickens to use as cover, but I think I'll try it!

This HAS been helpful. About an hour ago I was standing IN the coop (8'x20' including the henhouse and half of it is covered) with our large dog right there, giving our girls late afternoon treats and suddenly a hawk dropped down from the tall pines nearby. They all managed to get away as I yelled and screamed at it but it clearly wasn't afraid of me- was at my eye level about 3' away. This was a VERY close call.
We covered the rest after we got them, scared and shakey, into the henhouse. But we have lost 3 others since summer and this hawk knows where to find them so no more free ranging (which we had cut WAY down on since losing last one in Nov.) for now. Soon we will cover a larger area for them.
But as people say we need cover/trees for the girls to run to, and I agree, it was the tree that provided the branch for the hawk to scope things out so there are certainly two sides to that coln.
I thought hawks would avoid diving into a small area-too much risk of wing damage, etc- but clearly I was wrong. Also shocked that it came in when I was standing here with a big dog....again, clearly wrong.
The girls were FREAKED out...wonder how they will be tomorrow.

Quote:
That is really scary!
th.gif

I am finding that the crows near my house are a very good alarm system. So far whenever I hear them squawking like mad, I go outside and look for them. Sure enough, when I spot the crows they are flying around harassing the hawk. It helps me know where the hawk is when it comes around here. I think the chickens are becoming aware of this too. When they hear the crows freaking out, they run for cover.

Hawks are very agile in wooded areas. I watched 4 of them playing in the wooded area on the back of the property. Was amazed how well they manuvered in the wooded area.
Allowing cover and having watchful roosters helps keep the losses down.
Even with the best defenses the hawks do get lucky.

Back
Top Bottom