Are certain breeds less susceptible to hawk attack?

I have lost a lot of birds both to hawks and dogs. I have leghorns which really seem to bring in the hawks for they can see them the best. Mostly, I have coopers hawk come and get the leghorns they have tried to get one of my barrock but wasn't as successful. So probably the bigger the chicken is the more it can fight to get away and also I have had red-tail hawk which could get my bigger chickens. But I would probably suggest have good cover for your girls to hide under that hawks can't get under very easily either for the hawks I believe have to land on the hens back to be able to kill them. I tried some roos but they just upset my hens to much so I got rid of them. But I have read that some have really good success with roos.

Quote:
Sometimes troubles of roosters are worth the benefits. I almost never have hawks taking my adults, unless the adult is isolated from rest of flock. A hawk can take even the most agressive game rooster if he is alone without cover, although still at some risk to hawk if he does not latch on properly to the rooster at first contact.

I read that Dominique roosters are real good protectors.
I have 5 wyandotte roosters who appear to take turns looking out in their playpen (which is covered)
They sound the warnings for hawks and airplanes.
Apparently airplanes eat chickens too in their book.
I do agree with providing cover spots for them to run to when danger flies over

Quote:
I have a good number of Dominique rooster from different sources. Thus far I have not been able to observe their defense of flock but they are fairly large and alert thus signalling presence of hawks. They do take advantage of cover which some breeds are very slow to do.

Just had our first hawk attack a few minutes ago - I was inside but heard my two hens ( an EE and a BO) yelling and came out to see what the ruckus was. Saw a red-tailed hawk swoop around our front yard and realized what had happened. As luck would - or not - have it, the gardeners just clipped back all our hydrangeas yesterday so the usual cover in that area was gone.

I think both girls seem to be okay but they were PETRIFIED!
hide.gif
I think it was their first hawk encounter and they both froze up and would not move.

Can't have roosters here and I think we would be arrested if we tried to shoot hawks in our neighborhood - anything else we could do to discourage them? I'm getting baby chicks in the spring and two will be bantams - looks like they won't be able to free-range...
sad.png

A safe alternative to free range is using chicken tractors. These allow them to forage without danger of hawk attacks. Every other day or so just move the tractor to a new spot.

Guineas! If you can have them, they always seem to keep an eve on the sky, and are very vocal with their warnings. I have 3 that do a good job.

in general, large chickens with black and white barring (also called hawk coloring, since it's harder for the hawks to see or track) are the best, although old english game have good survival instincts. either way, it's best to keep a rooster or two, as they will alert the flock to any oncoming threat.

Back
Top Bottom