are certain breeds of ducks quieter than others?

joannamarie

Songster
12 Years
Jun 17, 2007
at one point i wanted to keep a few ducks aswell as my chickens, i did research on the net and found that some breeds of ducks dont make much noise.
i was put in my place by someone that all ducks no matter what breed are loud. was my research wrong? i have since decided to be just happy with my chickens but still curious

thanks for the reply, i should copy this thread to prove that from actual people that know about ducks and not just a website that not all ducks are loud

I know this won't say much, since I don't know the breed of my ducks (they may be mutts too) but ...

Kuro (the duck I think may be a black swedish) is very quiet. She CAN quack loudly, but probably only does so once a week, if she really wants to beg for food. Otherwise I don't hear a sound from her. I guess she's the lowest female in the hierarchy. The drakes of course don't make any noise either.

Baka (buff or buff cross?) on the other hand is VERY LOUD and quacks a good bit of the day. If anyone is annoyed with them, they probably think those four ducks make a lot of noise, but in fact it's just one of them.

She better hope I don't get a taste for duck l'orange or something, lol. If it wasn't for the fact that she WILL let me know if any animal comes in, I don't think I could tolerate all that noise!

trish

My Mallard ladies sure are loud but for less noise I also say Muscovey the females makes a sqeaky noise and the males make a hissing noise they dont quack at all:D

All male ducks are more quiet then the females. I raise Welsh Harlequins. They are very quiet and friendly. They are also easily trained. They lay lots of eggs and are very good mothers.

After raising Rouens, I have to say that Runners are much more obnoxious! My Rouen females only squack when they want outside in the mornings. Also when they were maturing they would squack in the middle of the day for no apparent reason other than realizing that they had the lungs to do so! LOL.

For anyone considering them, Runners are very loud and high-strung, in my opinion.

Hmmm .... maybe that's what's wrong with our ducks.

The black ones (probably black swedes, or a mix of) are fine, wonderful little characters, for the most part.

The yellow ones ... they look a lot like buff orps but also look a LOT like runners, especially when they decide to stand tall ... so I think they are a mix of these two ... they are TOTALLY OBNOXIOUS!

The drake has taken to attacking anyone or anything that moves -- unless of course you are just about to feed him, and then he STILL might attack if you aren't quick enough about it! But he actually chases down the fenceline when people walk on the road nearby, trying to chase them off. (Of course, if you stop and look at him, he immediately turns and runs the other direction!) He's a bad influence on my black drake, who will sometimes attack as well now.

The duck ... augh ... she still quacks annoyingly most of the day. Not as bad as before, but she can be very loud, demanding, and annoying. At least she knows she's a female now. But she still joins the drakes in attacking small things. I still might eat her ... except that would leave me with 2 drakes and one duck, and I don't want them being tempted by my hens in that way, so she might get to live.

(Actually I doubt if I will get to eat her, they are my daughter's pets and I'm sure she would object!)

But that duck sure is annoying! I just wish she'd start laying!

trish

Back
Top Bottom