Are chickens allowed in Palm Bay FL??

tiamarie

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 14, 2013
Hi! I have looked everywhere to see if chickens are allowed in brevard county Florida. Some say they are, some say with permits, and some just straight up say not at all.. I would really like to know if anyone had researched this.

This was just approved last week!
Here is the Palm Bay ordinance for raising backyard chickens..
Up to four (4) chickens may be kept on single family lots in the RE, RS-1, RS-2, RS-3, SF-1, SF-2 and SRE Zoning Districts subject to adherence to the following criteria: (1) Hens only may be kept. Roosters are prohibited. (2) Chickens must be caged at all times and cages/coops shall meet the criteria for animal cagesand enclosures contained in Section 185.118(F). (3) Breeding of chickens is prohibited. (4) Dead chickens shall be immediately removed from the premises and disposed of properly. (5) The cage/coop and surrounding areas shall be clean and properly maintained to avoid the attraction of vermin, insects or predators."

This was just approved last week!
Here is the Palm Bay ordinance for raising backyard chickens..
Up to four (4) chickens may be kept on single family lots in the RE, RS-1, RS-2, RS-3, SF-1, SF-2 and SRE Zoning Districts subject to adherence to the following criteria: (1) Hens only may be kept. Roosters are prohibited. (2) Chickens must be caged at all times and cages/coops shall meet the criteria for animal cagesand enclosures contained in Section 185.118(F). (3) Breeding of chickens is prohibited. (4) Dead chickens shall be immediately removed from the premises and disposed of properly. (5) The cage/coop and surrounding areas shall be clean and properly maintained to avoid the attraction of vermin, insects or predators."
Where did you find this ordinance? I have been looking forever on the City of Palm Bay website and haven't found a thing!

Thank you!!

Notce of public hearing is here:
http://www.palmbayflorida.org/citycouncil/meetings/hea.html
The agenda for the Feb 21 coucil meeting shows the ordinance 2013-10 to be discussed. I have heard from several sources that it passed. The hearing notice says draft of ordinance is available for inspection at city hall during business hours. It is still too soon for it to be shown in city codes and ordinances. Good new though!

Thank you guys! I was really hoping they passed the ordinance here, because now I have my 4 babies and am really hoping I was being legal. lol

I have chickens in my back yard in Palm Bay fl i keep them in a moveable chicken coop called a chicken tractor, i would start out with about 3 or 4 chicks but get Hens (egg layers) roosters make too much noise and then you might have the law on your hands. I started a business called Healthy Empowered Living Solutions to help people learn about urban sustainable living. If i can help in any way, My name is Ken you can call me at 321-394-1775 and visit or website at www.healthyempoweredlivingsolutions.com

I know this is old but trying to figure this out for myself now. How do i find out what zone i am in? We live in nw palm bay and i found a zone map says zone 4 but nothing about rs rf sf or anything like that.

OURRUNE,

Wondering the same thing, in NW Palm Bay.
New to BYC, but old to NW Palm Bay,
Will read your posts and learn.
Dave

Back
Top Bottom