are chickens pets?

Are chickens pets?

• yes

Votes: 329 92.9%
  • no

Votes: 25 7.1%

• Total voters
I did not know that chickens were NOT pets! I started to collect them because I found out that they make the coolest pets. SO, I guess I started out on the wrong end of this equation. hee hee

I am city raised and of course, thought eggs were mysteriously manufactured somewhere and when my first hen laid her first egg, it was a MIRACLE! I was in aww of the fact that chickens really really do lay eggs......ALL my "gremlins" are pets and will be with me till they go over the Rainbow Bridge. They are a nice alternative to traditional pets.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my feathered kids!

Mine are pets with an extra bonus * EGGS * , they are treated no differently than the other animals that live here except they don't come into the house unless its an emergency. They have a nice coop/ run & are allowed to free range most of the day time unless the weather is really bad. Pretty happy girls :)

I have seriously considered investing in some chicken diapers just so I can bring my birdies in the house when they're injured or ill.  I've see lots of pictures of people with house chickens who wear the diapers full-time

My boyfriends dad had an indoor chicken that wore a diaper. Every day he'd change the diaper, bathe her and blow dry her. She was quite pampered!

The definition of "pet" itself is: "a domesticated animal kept for pleasure rather than utility."
*snip*

So when you ask if a chicken is a pet - my answer would be: It is a pet if its owner calls it a pet.
Yeah now there is an answer. By some of that reasoning I don't own any pets. The dogs I've owned had a purpose. The latest little dog is just about worthless though but I also feel like she's less of a pet than other dogs that definitely filled a role. If I go back through life the most worthless animals I ever took care of were a snake and a turtle but I kind of felt like they were pets. Some fish on the other hand served no purpose and certainly were not pets by my accounting. So don't think I care much for that definition. There's something amiss.

If the owner calls it a pet seems fair enough, but I want to add the condition that the owner not be crazy. That stuffed dikdik is not a pet, no matter how much you want to tell me it is.

My girls are definitely pets! As I am sitting on the couch, my chicks are in their brooder tote on our coffee table, like an aquarium of fish.
big_smile.png
And this is what they were doing, this afternoon:

our laying hens are totally %100 pets, but meat chickens and turkeys are treated like pets till my dad gets the knife out... lol, but I believe in giving them the best life, and then they give back, more than we gave them really, but we gave them the dream life.

Some are and some are not.
The more friendly chooks are pets and get named. The not so friendlies are just working biddies that get canned (soup that is) when they stop working.
Aggressive ones get culled out to maintain peace. Extra boys are either sent to freezer camp or sold.
But,,,, those who earned names are still hanging out, enjoying the sweet life, and just being happy pets.

Back
Top Bottom