Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BunnyLover44

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Orlando Flordia
Are chickens pets, please give your impute or thoughts. My chickens are used for laying and NOT eating so should I name them ( we haven't decided yet if we r going to keep them when they stop laying)??????????
D.gif
barnie.gif
D.gif
barnie.gif
D.gif
barnie.gif

BunnyLover44

Chickens are what you make of them. To some people they are considered livestock and are replaced when they no longer produce. To other people they are a cherished pet just as much as any dog or cat. It's up to you.

Absolutely they can be pets! I name ALL of mine. I have 5 hens that are "past their prime" but as far as I'm concerned they've earned their retirement and I don't plan to eat them or rehome them. I'm not short on space so I just let them go about their business. Even though they don'y lay much anymore I still love to just watch them "be chickens", it never gets old to me! And just because they're not laying doesn't mean they're useless! They keep the bugs down and are wonderful tillers for your garden and flower beds (BEFORE the plants are in! ).Now having said that there have been times when we've had to cull aggressive roosters and they made for some tasty dinners! So I think it all depends on the person and the chicken.
D.gif

Mine are pets to an extent.I still consider them livestock, but I want them to live a good life, and be happy birds, I enjoy raising them, and make some pocket money off of them too, I do name some of them, but will still replace them once their laying slows, I have no plan to put money into something, and not get much out of it, (after they slow down laying of course, that first egg pays for the feed, and shelter cost until that point
wink.png
) And I have no problem culling a sick or aggressive bird. It really depends on what you are looking for in your flocks.

Last edited:
There are lots of different opinions about this. Our little girls are pets. We enjoy watching them and one of them really loves to be held and petted. They eat up the bugs, and they follow us around the yard when we are outside. They run to the fence when they hear a car in the driveway to greet us (kind of like a dog would do!) Our bantams are 3 1/2 years old and starting to slow down on the laying, but I can't imagine culling them, unless they are really badly injured or ill.

mine are pets / livestock i have some that are my babies but others are not really my babies i have 27 birds and named most of them they oh most all lay some are still a little young and i just got a batch of chicks from my hens they are so cute and i already named some their all my babies i raised from a young age so i boned with them more then others and i never had to cull any of my birds none are aggressive but one if u mess with the hens to much like if you make them squawk then he fluffs his self up and charges at you to make you leave if you don't he will kick you lol

Back
Top Bottom