are chickens smart enough to know?

coyotesmommy

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
I know it is just now getting to be 32 degrees or below, here in North Texas but are chickens smart enough to go inside their coup if they get cold? I have 3 hens and sometimes the will stay on the shelf in the chicken run and not the actual coup to stay warm. My question is should I physicsally put them inside their coupe and latch the door if they just hang around inside the chicken run but do not go inside the coup? Or because they are Dominique's, Barred Rock and Austalurp they are bred for cold weather and will go inside when darn ready to.
yippiechickie.gif

We had our first snow last night and our girl's didn't want to come out of their coop. Once they did venture out they didn't like the snow at all. They huddled under a bush looking miserable. I picked them up one at a time and took them back to their covered run where they are looking a bit confused. I imagine they will figure it out.

ok... good, my husband is like " Well your chickens are still out you need to go put them up or you need to shut the coop door"

Chickens seem fairly dumb to us humans but they do know things we dont. For example, we spend lots of time and money incubating eggs which comes pretty natrualy to a good brood hen. So who is the dumb one here?>
hmm.png
Let your chickens be chickens and they will be fine. Give them a place to get in to avoid the weather and lots of food and water and they will repay you with lots of great eggs.

They should be fine. If the temps are below freezing for any length of time, you may need to keep an eye on their combs. They can get frostbite.

My chickens don't mind the snow and spend time out in it. They don't generally go in their coop even if it's snowing, but they also don't seem to be cold. I put a tad of vaseline on their combs to prevent frostbite and then let them just live their life. They do fine.

Quote:
Exactly. My coop door opens at 6:30 AM and closes at 10:30 PM. Between those times the chickens are the decision makers and so far they are all doing quite well, even with high winds and rain today, and 15 or so degree weather a few weeks ago. Food, water, and a draft free coop are what matter - and treats of course.

Quote:
32 degrees isn't much cold for a standard size chicken. Even our tiny bantams stayed outdoors during the week long cold snap we had last year when temps stayed below freezing all week. And none of them even weigh 2 lbs! And their coop was heated!

Quote:
Exactly. My coop door opens at 6:30 AM and closes at 10:30 PM. Between those times the chickens are the decision makers and so far they are all doing quite well, even with high winds and rain today, and 15 or so degree weather a few weeks ago. Food, water, and a draft free coop are what matter - and treats of course.

Right on right on. Mother nature gave chickens the knowledge to survive. Just like coyotes and fox. An old Indian saying on the coyote is when the last animal on earth is dead and gone, the coyote will still be hunting. Nature gave them an extreme will to survive.

You and you chickens will be fine. Just trust them to know best.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom