Are Cochins Lazy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BrianT, Jul 24, 2010.

1. BrianT

BrianT Songster

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    I have a Black Cochin and a White Cochin. They seem to be very lazy: won't run away from my children, doesn't fly up on things like my other chickens, stands and closes eyes and when I say her name she turns her head toward me but won't open her eyes, seemingly sleeps more than others, etc. Is this normal, or should I worry?

Oh, and the black one will not run, period. She hops or walks a little faster.

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Songster

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Well lets just say that they are not the Lance Armstrong's of the chicken world. [​IMG] Cochins are not the best fliers do to their size and they have shorter wings. They can fly a couple feet up but not very high at all. Unless they are showing other signs of being ill, I wouldn't worry about them. They are about as laid back as chickens can get.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I think cochins are pretty lazy. I keep Brahmas (very similar) and they are very lazy (or maybe quite smart!)......they just hang around the door all day waiting for food withe the boys crowing regularly and often in a big sun-bathing ruck. None of them ever flies for more than about 3 feet, but I don't think this is their fault as they wings are far too small for such big heavy bodies........I just love the laid back disposition.

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by