1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Coops really needed?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Peringle, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Peringle

Peringle Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2013
    I built a coop for my chickens then I put a perch outside the coop for them. Now the only one who uses the coop is the hen that's laying. She only goes in there to lay her eggs then she walks back out, all of them sleep on the perch. So, are coops really needed? I have been considering taking the coop out and just putting in some nesting boxes and adding more branches to the perch. Any suggestions or ideas?

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    The coops protect them from predators and bad weather. You need something to keep them out of snow/rain/and extreme cold. Some people use hoop houses for this and they are basically runs with the back half covered by a tarp. You have to look at your area for the predators that you have to deal with and any extreme weather that you might have and decide from there.

3. bwr719

bwr719 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    Coops make happy birds and happy birds make productive birds!!!

4. Peringle

Peringle Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2013
    Ok, I'll keep the coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by