Are Cornish Cross GMO's?

I disagree, the flawed systems and the hybrids are intertwined at their core. One wouldn't exist without the other. Efficiency at the cost of health, economy at the cost of husbandry, and subsidization at the cost of the people are the only way either exist.

True.

The cornish cross is not what most people consider a "GMO".

The cornish cross relies on a non-laboratory induced and naturally occurring phenomena called hybrid vigor or Heterosis. This is a phenomena where two genetically different populations mix and the offspring is more vigorous and larger than either parent. It's most obvious in hybrid animal like mules and ligers where the offspring end up being substantially larger than the parents of either species.
This is not true for CornishX, first because the male line of the GP Sire line(Grand Parent Line A) are actually Biger(Bigger Frame, Better FCR) than the terminal CornishX, and that is because that particular line is bread for superiors growth regardless of egg laying traits, These GGP and Pedegree line males(Line A and Line C) are Broilerized(Fed Ad Libitum) and selected as breeders at 5.5 pounds at 5 weeks of age(5.2 for line C), The dame line is selected for superior egg production(about 180 eggs per year, compared to the sire line dame that lays about 120 )

Some info on the Grand Parent Line breeding

View attachment 2277382
1596639927845.png

1596639945904.png

1596639989396.png

As you can see Line A males are bred for absolute growth and performance and as you can see are heavily selected for because only 10% of the males are retain(about 10%) when compared to the dame female line(about 90% retain after final selection)

Here are the Final numbers for both lines(Sire and Dame with their respective male and female body weight at depletion)

Sire Line A Male and Line B Female(AB) Selected for Massive Body Gains and FCR

1596641122040.png

Dame Line C Male and Line D Female, Selected for superior egg production(the best they can manage is 180 eggs at depletion which is not great to be honest but without sacrificing much growth)

1596642383389.png

These numbers are in Grams and with Starved Grand Parent Breeders(Males are Broilerized to 5 weeks of age then fed restricted, females are fed restricted their entire life)

Sire line AB are about 10% more efficient in growth than Dame line CD but line CD is about 45% more productive at laying eggs, this means more ABCD Broiler chicks that are about even(just a little behind) in FCR, that is an acceptable trade off and makes the system AB x CD = ABCD very profitable indeed but for absolute performance the Parent Line AB is without challenge

Attachments

• 1596641249801.png
    1596641249801.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 1596642314666.png
    1596642314666.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1596642334210.png
    1596642334210.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
something I have found to be very troubling with these chickens is 1) They are unable to stop eating and you can only feed them once (maybe twice) a day otherwise they will eat until they die. 2) if you get chicks from the large factories, they are now getting vaccinated before being sent out to the customer. 3) They get processed at about 12 weeks. When compared to other breeds, the contrast is something incredible and (to me) beyond unnatural 4) as they approach their processing day, they can barely walk (again, not natural) and lastly 5) if you had a flock of these, you can’t keep that flock going and growing. So even when getting into the weeds if this type of bird being the norm now, it isn’t for a lot of people out there.

something I have found to be very troubling with these chickens is 1) They are unable to stop eating and you can only feed them once (maybe twice) a day otherwise they will eat until they die. 2) if you get chicks from the large factories, they are now getting vaccinated before being sent out to the customer. 3) They get processed at about 12 weeks. When compared to other breeds, the contrast is something incredible and (to me) beyond unnatural 4) as they approach their processing day, they can barely walk (again, not natural) and lastly 5) if you had a flock of these, you can’t keep that flock going and growing. So even when getting into the weeds if this type of bird being the norm now, it isn’t for a lot of people out there.
There isn't really anything unnatural, because it all is happening naturally. These birds aren't altered genetically in anyway, this is just how the genetics are from their parents and grandparents

I just want to say, I read each post and love hearing everyone's input. I agreed with some points and could kind of relate to others:)

This was interesting and informative thread.

Cornish X broilers are actually butcher-ready at 7 weeks, 8 if you want them as bigger roasters. Unless you're restricting feed 12 weeks is way too long.

Back
Top Bottom