Are Dogs and Chickens OK together?

Our Australian Shepard, Rusty used to kill chickens by the dozens when he was a puppy but since he got older we didn't think he would do it anymore. The other day he killed one of my Basque cockerels, and injured another one. Be VERY careful with your dog around your chickens. Then we have two itty bitty tiny Shih-Zues and they kill chickens right and left, given the chance.

Can't trust'em.

~ Aspen

I've got a lab that is actually AFRAID of my chickens... See below. Can't say I blame the dog for being afraid! HA HA... I ended up getting rid of these hens and now have 5 chicks. I also have a 1 year old brittany. The Brittany looks like he is going to want to eat 'em!

LOL That poor dog looks like he is going to get a chicken beat-down!

I have 3 dogs. My lab i wouldent trust around the chicks, and our 9 week old puppy plays pretty hard and nibbles like a puppy so he's out of the question too. Also in case you dident know, there is something in dogs saliva that will kill birds. If a bird has a open wound or a dog nips are them and breaks the skin, the chicken will die.
ANYWAY, my little dog is a teacup maltese, she LOVE being around the chicks, even though they fly/jump at her pretty often and scares the crap outta her, she still likes to be in there and sniffing them :)

In these pics the chicks were 4 weeks old. My silly doggy is almost 3 years old and full grown. A few more weeks and theyll be the same size ;)

It does depend on the breed and most important the training of the dog!

I have a Blog and a Facebook page for Dogs and Chickens. Called Laying Hens and Canine Friends.com. The FB page is https://www.facebook.com/LayingHensAndCanineFriends

I am a dog training and have been working with several dogs with chickens. If anyone has any photos of their dogs and chickens I would to use them on my blog if you don't mind email them to me! PLEASE!!! [email protected]

Thanks!!
Dana

Here are a few shots of my dogs and Hens - All of my dogs are High Prey Drive and I am a dog trainer so I have been working with each one of them each day. They are all doing really good as we are not off leash on all but one dog. Check out my Blog: Laying Hens and Canine Friends.com or FB Page https://www.facebook.com/LayingHensAndCanineFriends there is already some video on their of the training but I am planning on adding all of it step by step. It is possible to have them live together with lots of training for most dogs and then some dogs will require management of the dogs or chickens.
Dana

I firmly believe that any breed of dog can be trained to be around birds. It does not depend on the dog it depends on the PEOPLE. These are domesticated and highly trainable animals but it takes time, patience and a lot of consistency and some dogs are going to take a lot more of it then others. It means working with your dog every single day if necessary without fail to get the behavior correct and to give them the skills they need to react appropriately to new situations that may arrise.

Last edited:
Only dog, and there's been a good number, that I've seen that couldn't be trained, was my dad's short legged Jack Russel Terrier type. She killed everything. Other than her, it's been easy to convince the dogs the Chickens are not prey. Certain dogs took quite a liking to the chickens, and I'm convinced saved them from many predators. No cat or coon or hawk or dog or weasel.... is going to risk getting attacked by a dog in order to pilfer a chicken. They just move along to easier prey.

I've got to chime in with everyone else, that it depends on the dog. Dogs are one of our biggest predators around here. We lost more hens to dogs than anything else for a while (until we put a bunch of buckshot in a couple dog's backsides... but that's another story). I had one easily trained dog that totally ignored chickens. My current dog really thinks she wants to chase them, and chasing chickens is just a short step from killing chickens, because once they catch one and find out it's yummy, it's game over and I don't think you can ever trust them.

Make a fenced area for your chickens. That will protect them from your dog as well as any feral/stray/neighbors' dogs that may come by.

I agree- I NEVER allow playing or chasing chickens, cats or any livestock! Even if you think it is play it can turn deadly fast. Nip that in the bud first then lots of obedience training really helps!
Right now I am working with 11 different dogs in my business with chickens and ducks and so far only one is giving me issues. Of course she is my own dog...how is that for ironic! She is very high prey drive and very dominate. I am going to keep working with her on leash, but she may never get off lead. She was even hard on sheep...however does great with cows in herding. We will just keep working with her everyday.

You can train your dog to leave the chikens alone when i was a kid we had a collie mix that we got as a rescue . he got in the coop and killed a few chickens an old farmer told my mother to tie a dead chicken to his neck wraping the chicken in chicken wire so he could not get it off and leave it there till it rots .. well my mom did this and i worked we had puppers for 12 years and in all that time he never touched a chiken again ..
I have found that when i get a new dog that if i hold the chicken and pet the dog set the chicken on the dog while he/she is laying down and do this every day for a month or so the dog learns that the chicken is part of the family and not to be hurt . this has worked with my lab/retrever i also did this when we got rabbits and he catches and eats wild rabbits but has never hurt ours even when they got out and it took me a few days to catch them .

Back
Top Bottom