are ducks good pets

They make vary good pets if you have the right place to keep them there a lot of work and they cost a lot

hi i was looking at BYC and saw this duck area i have look at getting a duck now and then,but i have never really looked in to it. i was wondering if ducks would be a good pet thanks
smile.png
I've had a pet Pekin duck that lives in my home for the past 7 years. First off, ducks even one duck which you should never have a single duck, is a lot of work that never ends. However, IF someone is up for the challenge a pet duck can be very rewarding. My duck is like the family dog. We have spent so much time with him he can even say human words. I don't say we taught him human rather I say he taught us to speak duck. Cleaning up after him is continuous. Anything that goes in him pretty quickly comes right back out. They are not a clean nor what I would call an easy pet. They all have their own personality and can be a great companion once you get to know them.
I would recommend first timers to raise chickens over ducks at least at in the beginning. Chickens do not require as much time, clean up, or attention, but there is regular ongoing maintenance to raising any animals which to many people don't consider before getting animals. I'm happy to see you are taking a serious approach at owning animals.

I've had a pet Pekin duck that lives in my home for the past 7 years. First off, ducks even one duck which you should never have a single duck, is a lot of work that never ends. However, IF someone is up for the challenge a pet duck can be very rewarding. My duck is like the family dog. We have spent so much time with him he can even say human words. I don't say we taught him human rather I say he taught us to speak duck. Cleaning up after him is continuous. Anything that goes in him pretty quickly comes right back out. They are not a clean nor what I would call an easy pet. They all have their own personality and can be a great companion once you get to know them.
I would recommend first timers to raise chickens over ducks at least at in the beginning. Chickens do not require as much time, clean up, or attention, but there is regular ongoing maintenance to raising any animals which to many people don't consider before getting animals. I'm happy to see you are taking a serious approach at owning animals.
:welcome

Folks here are speaking in terms of what care a pet should get. If you owned 3+ dogs, (you should own 3+ ducks as their social needs are met by other ducks) you should interact with 'em daily, have a few behavioral expectations, and provide a safe stimulating environment. Ducks do require start up considerations. They need a coop easy to clean, and a run or yard with a small pool. Once you get that in place, they don't need that much more care than some common pets. Auto feeders and doors can help a bit.

Learn and be prepared beforehand. With some stores that sell ducks, you might get more drakes than hens. If you get 1 drake and 4+ hen ducks, then fine, but what are the odds, we don't know their sex until months later? Drakes require special consideration, often another area you can keep 'em separate from the others. Very young ducklings need considerable warmth and we're headed into chilly October nights. Where can they poop a lot, stay clean, and warm? Know that ducklings ordered online ship when they hatch. The 2-day olds arriving at your post office have to have prompt care. Ducks are defenseless against most any water, land, and air critters small and large.

If you do decide to go all ducky, this is a great forum to help with questions. My 3 lady friends softly quibble, tweeb, and chibber their contentment. They do swim over any time I'm out there. Lately they like to spread their wings and run at me or the cats! They get close so you can feel the air from their wings, then just look at 'ya. I look forward to them being even greater friends 10 yrs from today.

[From closest: Spats, LuRoy, & Moby Duck]

Attachments

• Friends.jpg
    Friends.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom