Are ducks smart enough to get out of the cold?

Still up checking on mine too! One of them actually went inside the house willingly! I couldn't find him, had to bring out a flashlight just to peek in and see that he was okay. I corralled them to within 4 feet of the lamp, and haven't seen any shivering, so I really think they're all right. The outside thermometer where they are is reading about 5 above at the furthest point from the lamp, so that's the coldest they can possibly be, with obviously warmer temps closer to the lamp.
I would say I can't believe yours are in the water at 19 degrees, but mine were skating on the ice the other day in their pool trying to get in the water, and when that failed they "bathed" in the snow, lol.

I was just thinking about this tonight
The last week has been extremely hot weather (30 year record highs), even during today was very warm.

But this evening, the wind has picked up, strong gusts. And now the temps have dropped dramatically.
I have the ducklings (just over 3 weeks old) outside in their coop, they aren't yet confident enough to climb up inside, so they were sitting out in the exposed section.
Usually I give them a bit of attention in the afternoon when I get home from work and then head inside the house.They 'peep peep peep' loudly in protest for a few minutes, but settle down after that.
Tonight they haven't really stopped making the noise. There is a section between the swimming container and back wall where they can somewhat shelter from the wind, but instead they decided to have a swim and then stand out in the open wind and then make a lot of noise!

I felt cold in the wind myself (wearing shorts & t-shirt), so I decided to move them upstairs in their coop into the enclosed section and shut them in. Their loud vocalising has now stopped. So I get the feeling they were cold, but didn't seem to know what to do to keep out of the wind. To the contrary they decided to go for a swim!

Last edited:
We get the fluctuations here too though... not a week ago we were actually just a touch above freezing, and now? -25C/-40C windchill which *I* will feel!!

By Sat they are saying i will be +3C! so how's that for extreme fluctuations? lol Some breeds are definitely not as cold hardy but i would advise against those if that is an issue same goes for heat, some don't do well with it, and best to be avoided for at least hobby owners as it would be more difficult to maintain.

Last edited:
Well - apparently my girls were fine last night. They were floating on their "water bed" this morning like usual but were much more talkative and ready to get out of the coop. I went to bed at midnight and a couple of very loud geese had me awake at 5:30 so it's going to be a long day but I am relieved that they are fine. Hope everyone else made it through the night safely!

Well - apparently my girls were fine last night. They were floating on their "water bed" this morning like usual but were much more talkative and ready to get out of the coop. I went to bed at midnight and a couple of very loud geese had me awake at 5:30 so it's going to be a long day but I am relieved that they are fine. Hope everyone else made it through the night safely!

That's great! not sure yet, my ducks will all be fine.. it's some banty roos i am somewhat worried with but we've seen this cold snap before had a trek of it last week... fortunately all coops are heavily surrounded/covered in snow which definitely adds insulation.

KaLo, glad your duckies are safe and sound. :)
My ducks somewhat resembled ducksicles, lol, but they were active and alert and seemed fine. Temperature was -9 or so, but at the farthest point the ducks could get from their lamp it was around 5 above. They actually willingly went inside their house for the first time too!

I am also a new duck owner, they came with our house. I tried several times to herd them toward the shelter that we built with a nice thick bedding of straw. They would not come off of the pond. I really thought they would be froze to death this morning. Wind chills 20-30 below were merciless last night. Of course we didn't sleep at all. They were all huddled and rolled into a ball on the ice this morning. They are alive because they have moved from one side of the pond to the other. Is there anything I can do to help warm them? Will they eat warm oatmeal? I used to feed this to my horses on cold mornings. Anything else that might generate warmth? I have fed them corn but they will not come off the ice to get it. I am thinking of pushing the rubber feeder bowl out to them but I am afraid they will be scared and just cause them more stress! Any ideas at all?

Thanks, Jeniep

I like the warm oatmeal idea. If you can add some ground flax seed to it, maybe some dry cat kibble, that would increase the nutrients and protein.

Maybe toss a little kibble toward them - not too close - and see if they are interested. Glad they are still with you.

I have read of adding cayenne pepper and garlic, but I have not done so for a special cold weather diet. I do feed my ducks garlic often, but never cayenne. Plus I sort of think that they should know best how to regulate their own metabolisms/body temps (much better than me anyway!). I do agree on the oatmeal & cat kibble, that is exactly what I do here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, I am willing to try most anything! I think they are trying to conserve energy at the moment, hence they are still curled on the ice.:/

Back
Top Bottom