Are ducks so dumb they will starve themselves with food available?!

MilburnCreek

Songster
5 Years
Nov 5, 2017
Chester, VT
I have 7 cayugas (1 Drake and 6 hens) that are 6 months old. They have a secure house (built like a fortress) and a pond. All summer and fall they free-ranged and did very well. We fed them small rations of commercial pellets, and they enjoyed those as well when scattered on the ground.

Now its winter, and I have two feet of snow on the ground. We've cleared paths to their house, but it still took almost a week for them to decide they weren't afraid of the snow and ventured out - but there's no real natural food available, as the pond is frozen over.
I put two pans in the duck house of pelleted food and water. It's been three days, and they haven't touched any of it. I keep telling myself that when they get hungry enough, they'll eat and drink...but now I'm beginning to wonder....

Last edited:
I have 7 cayugas (1 Drake and 6 hens) that are 6 months old. They have a secure house (built like a fortress) and a pond. All summer and fall they free-ranged and did very well. We fed them small rations of commercial pellets, and they enjoyed those as well when scattered on the ground.

Now its winter, and I have two feet of snow on the ground. We've cleared paths to their house, but it still took almost a week for them to decide they weren't afraid of the snow and ventured out - but there's no real natural food available, as the pond is frozen over.
I put two pans in the duck house of pelleted food and water. It's been three days, and they haven't touched any of it. I keep telling myself that when they get hungry enough, they'll eat and drink...but now I'm beginning to wonder....
Pretty much…

Ducks don’t like change and are scared of everything. Mine freak when I put new bedding in the coop. Another member on here not too long ago replaced a tarp on their coop with a different color tarp and the ducks weren’t havin it.

Are there any treats they like? I would maybe try adding some of their favorite treats into the food. But I’m also like you and figure when they’re hungry they’ll eat it.

Ducks are very wary creatures. They struggle to accept change more than other birds. At least in my experience. Maybe try adding some peas, corn, or ripped up lettuce. They might do better if they see something that imitates what they are used to eating, like grass etc. you could also try soaking a bit of the food in warmish water to make a mash, but with winter that will freeze quickly if not eaten soon enough.

This gives me hope! My ducks are acting really weird. I have one place to get feed and that is TSC. I was feeding them Dumore and TSC was out but had Purina. Purina ( Nestle)
makes Dumore. They don't care for the feed and are acting scared of everything.

Anything new or just different is a no-go for my ducks. They are drama queens, and I too wonder if they would starve to death rather than eat a new food, or use a new bowl, or drink from a bucket they've used forever if a heating element suddenly appears in it. If they don't adjust in three days I concede to them, when possible. They win and we go back to what was done before. 🤷‍♀️

Mine are dying for water this morning. 4 ft is as close as they will get to the water. They still have not eaten but at least they are coming out of their house by themselves. I guess maybe progress is being made but the ice has to come off the water first!!

Back
Top Bottom