Are eggs bad for your cholesterol? Perhaps, it's the exact opposite.

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by UncleHoot, Jan 22, 2008.

1. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    I came across this article today, which is completely at odds with conventional wisdom (that eggs are generally bad for your cholesterol).

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=108677

I guess I'd like to see a broader study, but this was pretty eye opening.

EDIT: Just thought I'd note that one of the "fast facts" at the bottom were, ummm... incorrect. Brown eggs come from chickens with red feathers and white eggs come from chickens with white feathers? Ok, that's the industry standard (White Leghorn and ISA Brown/RIR), and they DO mention the ear lobes, so maybe I should cut them some slack, but as we all know, the feathers don't indicate much of anything, in terms of egg color.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    I don't know, but my dad ate 2 eggs every day of his life. Once my mom made him get a mutiphasic blood test with her,the hospital would offer for a small fee, cause she thought his cholesterol would be sky high. Guess what! dad's was perfect and mom's was sky high and she hates eggs.

3. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    My husband's grandparents both lived into their nineties and the same thing. They both ate eggs every day and every meat was fried. The difference we have concluded is that they ate almost nothing that was commercially processed. The fat that Grandma used was lard they rendered themselves from their own hogs and the meat was either raised by them or their daughter on her farm. They even had their own corn ground at the mill. Of course, they drank unpasteurized & unhomogenized milk.

4. Kentucky~Momma

Kentucky~Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    South Central Kentucky
    I am a person who eats LOTS of eggs, I mean 4-6 at a meal. And sometimes more then once a day if the mood hits. I liked the article, and my grandparents have eaten eggs in high quantity their whole lives, and they are still alive and kickin in their late 90's! So when people question our food intake, I just say I am eating like my grandparents, home cooked and NOT take out, which is healthier then anything else!

5. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I have worked in the medical proffession for years. In my opinion this cholesterol thing is a big scam, Now the medications that they were giving for years is said to have no value, I have been saying that for years.

I am a vegetarian, I have slightly high cholesterol, but when I was a big meat eater with eggs etc, my cholesterol was very low.

I am still a veggie but I need the eggs to keep the cholesterol.

It is like this, if you do not eat cholesterol your body then has to produce it and it does so too much, if you have cholesterol your body does not have to produce it so it more steady and should keep it low. There was a study of 500 people that died of a heart attack, not one of them had high cholesterol. When i cornered my Dr. about this he had no choice but to agree, slightly. [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Best cure for high cholesterol, remove your liver and small intestines, that way you can't make it (liver) or transport it from food (intestines). LOL Your body makes a good portion of it and you can't live without it because it is an integral part of your body's cellular membranes, and is a precursor to lots of hormones. However, too much is a bad thing and watching your diet a bit does help... I feel most of it is genetic and a simply cooked egg minus a gallon of bacon grease will be fine. The proteins and other nutrients in the egg outweighs the cholesterol harm done. It's lifestyle as a whole, not one food.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Cholesterol is more a function of heredity than diet, IMO. My DH eats 4 eggs every single day for breakfast. I eat them on occasion. He eats lots of fried meats, I rarely eat meat. Mine was perfect till about eight years ago. My thyroid went wacko and my cholesterol has risen hinged on my thyroid function, my doctor says. I didn't want to go on meds so I begged the doc to let me be a model citizen for 6 months and see if it went down. Oatmeal for breakfast, tuna in water for supper, walnuts, etc, all cholesterol-lowering foods. After six months, a reduction of two points, 2, that's all. She put me on meds and the reading cut in half. She says it's just my genes, period.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by