Are eggs safe to eat after being laid on?

Crazy4Fowl

Songster
9 Years
Nov 20, 2014
My duck coop
I have a broody hen and I was going to let her try and hatch some ducklings. I have those eggs specifically marked. However she lays on all the eggs, and she only gets off them in the late afternoon. Is it safe to eat the eggs that she’s been laying on all day? They are the ones that she’s only laid on that day, not the hatching ones.

So she has been laying on the eggs for a few days now and they are starting to grow. However they have already broken 6, by accident I assume. Do I need to put the broody hen and her eggs in a separate coop or does it not matter since she may be the ones breaking them. I’d hate for the eggs to break after being developed. Any ideas on what I should do?

So she has been laying on the eggs for a few days now and they are starting to grow. However they have already broken 6, by accident I assume. Do I need to put the broody hen and her eggs in a separate coop or does it not matter since she may be the ones breaking them. I’d hate for the eggs to break after being developed. Any ideas on what I should do?
There’s only 5 left. They keep breaking them. Should I take her out or leave her. They keep eating the eggs. Is that just how it happens? Do they know somehow which ones to eat maybe if they are no good. I feel bad for the ducklings to be developing and then be killed

I'd place something around her so others aren't getting in her nest and laying most likely that is how the eggs are getting broken. I use extra lattice or spare fencing to keep my broody from having others lay in her nest and protect her and eggs and ducklings when they hatch.

I'd place something around her so others aren't getting in her nest and laying most likely that is how the eggs are getting broken. I use extra lattice or spare fencing to keep my broody from having others lay in her nest and protect her and eggs and ducklings when they hatch.
Ok I’ll have to put something there to block others it. It’s a team effort and a few others have been laying on eggs with her. All ducks have been laying in same nest and I go out there in the morning and take the new ones out.

Actually would it be best to just put her in the secondary coop alone? I could move her and the eggs and they could have a nice quiet place to be. Unless she wouldn’t like being alone and then possibly not lay on eggs? That is my breeding coop but usually I take the eggs and incubate, first time letting ducks do it themselves

Back
Top Bottom