Are eggs that rattle dead?

Jersey Girl

Songster
9 Years
Jul 31, 2012
Many many years ago I was told that eggs that are incubating, if shaken gently and rattle, are dead. I have just assumed this over the years but am looking for proof of this and not finding it. I'm wondering because have a goose that has been sitting on a clutch for about 32 days now and not seeing any signs of hatching yet. The majority of the eggs do rattle when shaken, but 4 or 5 do not. So, is this an old wives tale or true?

And, if no hatching, at what point should I take the eggs or encourage her to give it up?

Many many years ago I was told that eggs that are incubating, if shaken gently and rattle, are dead. I have just assumed this over the years but am looking for proof of this and not finding it. I'm wondering because have a goose that has been sitting on a clutch for about 32 days now and not seeing any signs of hatching yet. The majority of the eggs do rattle when shaken, but 4 or 5 do not. So, is this an old wives tale or true?

And, if no hatching, at what point should I take the eggs or encourage her to give it up?
No, this is not true, not in the least.

Back
Top Bottom