Are first eggs always small?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ceeceeholt, Sep 20, 2011.

1. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    I've read a bunch on here about small first eggs. My question is are the first eggs always small then get bigger or could a hen have a BIG first egg? Before I get too excited, I found a light tan colored perfect egg with a few white spots on it in one of the top laying boxes. I only have one older hen who lays (GLW) and she always lays on the bottom, same box and her eggs always have a little calicum build up on the top. I bought Goldie the GLW and she was already laying, she is 2 years old and usually lays everyday but Saturday (don't know why) LOL and always in the same box.
    So, my question is should I be excited or do you think Goldie switched boxes on me? She did not give me an egg today. I have 14 girls between 18 and 24 weeks all look very close to laying except the RIR girls. The others are a SLW, BO, EE and White Leghorns (so not the leghorns). The egg in question is bigger then Goldies and bigger then the large brown ones I bought at the store.
    Just wondering what you all think!
    Thanks all!! [​IMG]

2. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    I would guess that it is one of the younger hens. Normally they start out smaller but they can pop out a huge double yolker from time to time while their in the pullet stage.
    Wouldn't surprise me if it is a double yolk if it is from one of the pullets.

If so congrats on her first egg [​IMG]

3. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    Our two laying pullets can lay the odd random egg. Double yokers are more common than I thought, my neighbour had 6 in one week from 4 pullets.

4. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    ohhh, my excitement is growing!!! Now I wonder who the lucky lady is? Matilda SLW?

[​IMG]

Lily EE
    [​IMG]

OR

one of the Golden Girls, Bee, Rue or Betty

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by