Are flies always a problem with chicken coops?

I don’t have my coop setup yet but I’ve heard the stories of flies being a problem and was curious if that was always a problem. Thanks
No, flies are not a problem in my coop. I've rarely seen any.

I have deep bedding (8-12" of dry bedding. It doesn't start composting until I take it out and mix it with water, soil, and more "browns" - browns being mostly sawdust this time.)

Last edited:
We've only seen flies when things are wet. There has to be a sustained source of moisture, whether from droppings that don't either dry out (dry sand) or get covered and decompose (deep litter). Or from trash, compost pile, spent bedding mounds, water leaks, clogged drain field, or ground with poor drainage and organic matter in it.

We live next door to two big farms with pigs, cows, and assorted livestock. They tend to bring a much, much heavier fly load than my horses ever did. So, we have to take measures to protect our property by keeping things dry or the flies would be over here in a matter of hours, like they did when our grey water drain field got clogged. They got in the house, it was horrible (Tip: those clear sticky fly traps you put on the window near the sill are awesome).
But from our normal chicken situation? We don't get flies.

Planning ahead for how you will manage moisture is essential.
Anywhere they congregate and poop a lot should be covered from rain. So, a small run should be covered, a big one doesn't have to be.
More space for fewer chickens goes a long way towards keeping things clean(ish).
Build on reasonably high ground away from areas water could linger, causing the dreaded chicken poop soup.

Do chickens have problems walking in 8-12” of bedding?
Like killerBs said, they walk on top. I scattered a half a handful of seeds to get they to dig into it - and it didn't work, they just ate them off the top. I had to scuff the bedding up, then scatter seeds as I kicked the bedding over it - then they will dig into it. I want them to dig into it so the poops don't just make a layer on top.

When I put a new bag of bedding in, I put it in one spot and it takes them a half day or so to spread it out and be walking on a firm surface again. I figure spreading it gives them something to do.

We've only seen flies when things are wet. There has to be a sustained source of moisture, whether from droppings that don't either dry out (dry sand) or get covered and decompose (deep litter). Or from trash, compost pile, spent bedding mounds, water leaks, clogged drain field, or ground with poor drainage and organic matter in it.

We live next door to two big farms with pigs, cows, and assorted livestock. They tend to bring a much, much heavier fly load than my horses ever did. So, we have to take measures to protect our property by keeping things dry or the flies would be over here in a matter of hours, like they did when our grey water drain field got clogged. They got in the house, it was horrible (Tip: those clear sticky fly traps you put on the window near the sill are awesome).
But from our normal chicken situation? We don't get flies.

Planning ahead for how you will manage moisture is essential.
Anywhere they congregate and poop a lot should be covered from rain. So, a small run should be covered, a big one doesn't have to be.
More space for fewer chickens goes a long way towards keeping things clean(ish).
Build on reasonably high ground away from areas water could linger, causing the dreaded chicken poop soup.
you are right

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom