Are flies in the coop normal?

I agree with BruceAZ, and not just because we live in the same area. We recently ate our first batch of Cornish Crosses that we raised in a large pen and the flies were really prevalent, unlike our layers' coop and run. The difference being the Crosses produced about 5x the manure of the layers due to their heavy eating habits. As a result I had to clean the broiler pen I kept them in everyday after they were about 3 weeks old. Even then, each time I began cleaning we were over-run with flies until the old bedding was removed. In contrast I never had any fly problems in my layers coop and run which is only cleaned every other week. Granted the coop/run is much larger on a per bird basis but even so, if they fertilized as much as the Crosses I'd probably have to clean it every third day or so. So like Bruce said, I'd clean her up good, change bedding as often as is necessary, and like veganurbanfarm said, put down more carbon material. I like pine shavings myself because they are somewhat fragrant and absorb moisture well. That'd be my recommendations.

Last edited:
Possibly a strong fan during the warmer times of day to blow the flies away. We do that in the restaurant business so not sure how it would translate to the coop.

Not when it is an indoor/outdoor restaurant near a racetrack.

raising chickens we have to deal with flies..i clean out the coop/run each day..and seeing how they like to um..

anyway.. i'm not eating any food at those places.. since i can't get those images out of the head..

bring your own lunch or something
hmm.png

Last edited:
Well it is fairly fresh pine shavings. I am stirring it up every other day. I did get a 1 gallon bucket and switched over to a horizontal non leaking nipple. So once that bedding dries up it should help. There is no stink in the coop still. I am wondering if I should still scoop some out or let it dry up naturally. I also picked up some vanilla air fresheners, lets hope they work too!

Back
Top Bottom