Are green egg genes dominant?

Thanks for all the great replies. All 3 girls have pea combs.

Here's mom. I got her from the feed store as an ameraucana, but I've always assumed she's an easter egger:
IMG_2408.jpg

And Dad:
IMG_2392.jpg

And babies were:
IMG_2560.jpg

Unfortunately the splash and blue chicks were males, as was one of the blacks and 2 of the chipmunks. I was so sad to not be able to keep the splash.

I may have to use some food dye on their cloaca to see if I can tell who is laying.

I'm going to be so sad if my olive egger experiment failed.

Good luck in your endevor. I'm trying for a blue(er) egg myself. I'll be looking for Ameraucana or Araucana next year to put with my hens. Right now I'm running a Blue Wheaten Easter Egger with them and going to hatch out as many as I can from that cross then with one orthe other of the rooster I've planned, then the follwing year will be with the opposite.

A.T. Hagan :

This is a good thread for me to get something straight.

I am of the understanding that if I cross a bird with the blue egg gene with a White Leghorn that the egg laid by the resulting offspring will still be blue, but the W.L. influence will bleach them out to a paler shade. But if I make the same cross using a Brown Leghorn their white egg gene works somewhat differently and won't affect the shade of blue as strongly.

Is this true? I'd like to cross a Brown Leghorn with my EE girls to see if I can improve their laying ability.

I'll also be crossing them with a dark brown egg layer for olive eggers later on, but that I'm pretty sure will work the way I think it will.

I have a hen from a brown leghorn roo and ee hen, she's just started laying. It' s a paler green, but still green. I have another hen that's an ee/brown leghorn mix, just not sure who was mom and dad (have roos and hens of both breeds). I don't know if that matters, which breed is the sire/dam, but she also lays a pale-ish green egg, but it is darker than the first one. You could cross to a leghorn for a generation to up production, then back to ee to keep the color. Both my mixed have pea combs.​

Do these pullets have pea combs or straight combs?

You would expect the pea combed girls to lay green/olive eggs, and the straight combed to lay brown. This is usually the case, though there are exceptions.
Thanks that’s good to know… Learning new things everyday about my chickens.
I just had a solid yellow chick hatch last night from a green egg, so I was wondering if she will lay green eggs (IF it is a she)??

Back
Top Bottom