Are guineas snow blind?

Sylavash

Chirping
Oct 16, 2021
Northwest PA on the NY border
Today was the first day of heavy snow and my young guineas, less than a year old, are confused. This morning they were fine. Walked in the snow swooped over the snow, visited the porches and tormented the younger chickens before I went to work. The normal routine while I shoveled around a foot of fluffy snow. This isn't the first snow of the year but the deepest and the most consistent covering.

Tonight when I got home just before dusk one was already in the coop. Not unusual because they don't like the dark and they always go back to the coop at night. (There's a light that s on for around an hour after dark )The question was where were the other two, they always travel together. One was into if the garage, the other on the roof of the house. As it got dark I checked on them and one is in a tree, safe enough, although it is cold and windy tonight. My dog helped me find the other one under a bush. I threw a towel over her and brought her in to the coop. The one in a tree is still there.

Question, are guineas snow blind? Is there anything I can do to help them find their coop in the snow? I just want to make sure they don't freeze too death.

Today was the first day of heavy snow and my young guineas, less than a year old, are confused. This morning they were fine. Walked in the snow swooped over the snow, visited the porches and tormented the younger chickens before I went to work. The normal routine while I shoveled around a foot of fluffy snow. This isn't the first snow of the year but the deepest and the most consistent covering.

Tonight when I got home just before dusk one was already in the coop. Not unusual because they don't like the dark and they always go back to the coop at night. (There's a light that s on for around an hour after dark )The question was where were the other two, they always travel together. One was into if the garage, the other on the roof of the house. As it got dark I checked on them and one is in a tree, safe enough, although it is cold and windy tonight. My dog helped me find the other one under a bush. I threw a towel over her and brought her in to the coop. The one in a tree is still there.

Question, are guineas snow blind? Is there anything I can do to help them find their coop in the snow? I just want to make sure they don't freeze too death.
Guineas and their first real snow experience can be traumatic for them. Mine went to the trees and refused to come down. I took some hay out and made a landing strip for them. After that they cam down on the landing strip and went into the coop.

Good new. All three found safe places to be for a few days and have now returned back to the coop.

I wish I could spread hay but with the rate snow comes down here I'd need a round bale. First day we got 12in out so that night we got 3 more, it stopped for a day then we hit another 6. Yesterday we got up to 37 degrees then today we started at 13 and made it up to 5 degrees.

Mother nature is a little chaotic this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom