Are hawks bad this year or is that just me?

Fluffy_Feathers

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2017
Missouri
So I just had my 2nd hawk encounter. If I was not outside when it happened I probably would have lost my rooster or a hen who was near. In the 4 years I have had chickens I have never seen a hawk attack up until this month, where I have now had 2. Is this just a weird coincidence or are hawks attacking more?

In my experience, there haven't been more hawk attacks than usual. But definitely more hawks. A few weeks ago there was 15-20 over the coop circling around.

So I just had my 2nd hawk encounter. If I was not outside when it happened I probably would have lost my rooster or a hen who was near. In the 4 years I have had chickens I have never seen a hawk attack up until this month, where I have now had 2. Is this just a weird coincidence or are hawks attacking more?
I haven't had hawk issues this year, but we did find a Great Horned Owl caught in our poultry netting one morning.😢. We took him to a wildlife rescue. They fixed him up and we re-released him. He seems to have learned his lesson.

Attachments

• PXL_20201011_194858180.jpg
    PXL_20201011_194858180.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 1
Right now they are migrating. It appears I've had more issues with Red-tailed hawks this year, but I don't know if that's right or not. I think I've just got more birds now that I did last year, plus guineas that like to free-range and announce their presence to the world at fifteen minute intervals.

We have had 2 of ours killed by a hawk this year. After the first one we don't let them out unless we are going to be outside as well. My husband stepped inside for maybe 2 minutes and it got my chicken in that period of time. Almost like it was just waiting for us to leave the chickens alone to attack.

I haven't had hawk issues this year, but we did find a Great Horned Owl caught in our poultry netting one morning.😢. We took him to a wildlife rescue. They fixed him up and we re-released him. He seems to have learned his lesson.
Wow, I'm glad no one got seriously injured. That's really cool! I'm happy you took care of the little guy 😊

We have had 2 of ours killed by a hawk this year. After the first one we don't let them out unless we are going to be outside as well. My husband stepped inside for maybe 2 minutes and it got my chicken in that period of time. Almost like it was just waiting for us to leave the chickens alone to attack.
Wow that's crazy, I'm sorry you lost them. Sneaky things. Since making this post I've had a couple more close encounters. Once again, I'm lucky someone was outside at the time or I probably would've lost one. I just don't understand what's going on.

Oh I know... it's 2020, how could I have forgotten

Back
Top Bottom