Are hens genetically predisposed to laying eggs of a certain sex?

May 11, 2023
So, anyone know if a hens genetics will cause her to lay more male or female eggs? If I’m hatching out a disproportionate number of female chicks is that just purely coincidence or is something else possibly causing this like environmental factors etc.

~~
My rooster is a sexlink chocolate silkie and my silkie hens are various colors. The male chicks are supposed to be black or blue and the female chicks chocolate or mauve. So far I’ve hatched 16 chicks, 12 female and 4 male. I had one chick not make it early on and she was a female as well, and there’s been a couple of eggs that didn’t hatch and when I cracked them open to investigate they would have been females too (chocolates and mauves). So my hens at least for the past few months have been producing almost all female chicks. I was under the impression it’s generally 50/50 as to what sex the chick will be? Any ideas?
I’m currently incubating another larger batch of eggs that are due to hatch around Nov 4th so I guess I’ll see it this trend continues then.

So, anyone know if a hens genetics will cause her to lay more male or female eggs? If I’m hatching out a disproportionate number of female chicks is that just purely coincidence or is something else possibly causing this like environmental factors etc.

~~
My rooster is a sexlink chocolate silkie and my silkie hens are various colors. The male chicks are supposed to be black or blue and the female chicks chocolate or mauve. So far I’ve hatched 16 chicks, 12 female and 4 male. I had one chick not make it early on and she was a female as well, and there’s been a couple of eggs that didn’t hatch and when I cracked them open to investigate they would have been females too (chocolates and mauves). So my hens at least for the past few months have been producing almost all female chicks. I was under the impression it’s generally 50/50 as to what sex the chick will be? Any ideas?
I’m currently incubating another larger batch of eggs that are due to hatch around Nov 4th so I guess I’ll see it this trend continues then.
Hmm. No clue. If it means anything, three female bantams of mine hatched and there was one male. One female out of those three had gone broody and had more chicks, also three females and one male.

It might be a possibility? Its quite interesting to think about if it is.

I'm a bit late here, but:

I've read that it can be caused by genetics (some hens produce mostly male chicks or mostly female chicks).

I've read that it can be caused by environmental factors (some experiments have shown more male chicks or more female chicks in various conditions: hens fat or skinny, hens stressed or not, I don't remember what other things they tried or which way they matched up.)

We probably all know that odd ratios happen sometimes from random chance (like if you flip a coin and get a string of mostly heads.)

For what you have seen so far, I would think "that's interesting!" and see whether the pattern continues or not.

~~
I would be curious to know how it comes out.

Some years ago I tried hatching a bunch of sexlinks, and the first ones to hatch were almost all females, and then most of the males hatched later. I got very excited about the possibilities of that for predicting gender in other chicks, but unfortunately it seemed to be a one-time oddity, rather than a pattern that could be trusted to repeat.

Back
Top Bottom