Are Jersey Giants too big to mate with standard-sized chickens?

FowlWeatherFriend

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Grant's Lick, KY
Hi,
We are just getting our first coop ready and will soon be ordering our first chickens. We want about 10-12 hens. We want to include a rooster just because we feel having a flock of chickens would be incomplete without hearing a rooster crowing in the morning! We heard that a Jersey Giant Rooster has a unique-sounding crow and thought that it might be a good choice. However, a former chicken farm owner told my husband that the size of a Jersey Giant would "break down" a smaller hen when mating. Here are some of the breeds in which we are interested for our hens: Buff Orps, Barred Rock, RIR or New Hampshire Reds, Delaware, Dorking, Sussex, and Easter Eggers. We aren't looking for a rooster in order to have fertile eggs, but just to have a rooster with our hens.

Is the size of a Jersey Giant okay to mate with these hens or would you recommend a smaller rooster? Our first priority in choosing chicken/rooster breeds is that they are calm, docile, friendly chickens for our children to enjoy. Are there any particular rooster breeds that you all have found to be gentle?

Thanks!

I do not believe it would "break down" your hens. I base this on the size of the eggs coming out and the fact that the giants are only 2 lbs heavier.

I don't think you should have a problem at all breeding a Jersey Giant Roo to different breed hens , i know others do it for meat birds and they have had no issues.

I would say give it a try
smile.png

Jersey giants are very docile and most treat their hens without a rapist agenda.

They do like their own species, but of course being a roo, will try for just about any hen.

The larger breeds that you mention should be good with a Jersey roo.

I have two NJG roos and both are gentle and good to their respective hens.

Here is a list of roos I would stay away from:

RIR roos, every one I have had is a rapist. I have rehomed all that I have had.

Polish roos, they are very aggressive when full grown, I have three, but they are sooo
cool looking i keep them anyway.

The bantam roos can be horrid, but not all are this way. I have several of these and I
would say about half of them have had to be rehomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I agree with everyone!
As for a breed that go well with Children I would have to say Brahmas!!!

Although my Jersey Giant was clam I still had to put him away before children could run around!

have you ever seen a jap bantam try mating a jersey giant hen? i still laugh at that
lau.gif
. persistent booger, lol, watching him try so hard lol while the big old hen lol gets impatient.
lau.gif
and the little roo lol is hanging on
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom