Are mail-order coops a good idea?

Definitely try Craigslist! We just got our chicks and we're having our coop made by a small business we found (and they're in Central Florida if that helps.) They're super reasonable and way better than what we found at Rural King or Tractor Supply. We almost bought one but decided to do a little more research before committing that kind of money to something that may not work well, and after finding this website, I'm really glad we didn't get one, lol!

We bought our first coop from a ranching store... looked so cute sitting in the lobby!

Yeah, well, one winter in Wyoming later, the thing just doesnt hold up to wind and weather at all. If you were in a very temperate climate, it would be fine. It is no longer square at the joints, but "cater-wonk", most of the doors will not open / close, the wood is bulging and bubbled, etc.... Needless to say, we are now building a new coop for the girls in the barn...

We bought our first coop from a ranching store... looked so cute sitting in the lobby!

Yeah, well, one winter in Wyoming later, the thing just doesnt hold up to wind and weather at all. If you were in a very temperate climate, it would be fine. It is no longer square at the joints, but "cater-wonk", most of the doors will not open / close, the wood is bulging and bubbled, etc.... Needless to say, we are now building a new coop for the girls in the barn...

Oh wow! Your extreme weather is on the other end of the spectrum. I can see how ongoing heat and moisture can also damage the wood where I live. Better be safe than sorry, I'm convinced they're not worth the risk. Off to the lumber store then!

Back
Top Bottom