Are mutts bad?

Nichole77

Songster
12 Years
Jul 14, 2007
Arizona
I think that mutts are neat looking and can have unique features. I was thinking of adding a few. Not as breeding stock but just as some cool layers. But after reading some posts about breed quality I have to wonder if encouraging mutts is a bad idea.

I
love.gif
my mutts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who cares what others think!!!!!!!!!!!

Many years ago I had a massacre, most all my chickens were killed by a wild pig. We killed the pig eventuality. But the thought of my pen staying empty for a year was too much.. My local feed guy told me of a old man who had too many chickens and he was giving them away! They were mutts and I loved them, had some great times.

I think it depends on what your purposes are in having chickens. If you are developing breeds, or trying to get a specific trait, then mutts wouldn't work. But if you just want chickens for the fun of having them, and some eggs, mutts would be just fine. Mine are mutts, and I enjoy them just fine. I guess it depends on your intentions.
smile.png

Think about it-every new breed had to be a cross! New chickens did not come out of eggs unless there were a couple of breeds involved.

Back
Top Bottom