Are my Barred Rocks Mixed heritage?

sunflour

Flock Master
8 Years
Jan 10, 2013
Macon,GA
I have 3 BR, now 18 months old. Got them at 3 days old at a local feed/pet store. They have had typical black white barring, and physical characteristics I have seen in photos. They are in a very, very soft molt - only a mother hen would notice. But I noticed this week that all 3 have a new color showing in their feathers…Still black and white but now a golden brown looking stripe. Only noticeable up close. When they were younger in some lights you could see a bluish iridescent look to some of their stripes.

Does this mean they are mixed, or is this a normal thing the BR do?

Just curious, they are very friendly, wonderful pets and I will love them anyway. Not planning on breeding…..ever!

Our Rocks shine a beautiful iridescent green in sunlight. This is normal. I haven't seen any brown. Where is the brown stripe?

Here you can see some green

Our Rocks shine a beautiful iridescent green in sunlight. This is normal. I haven't seen any brown. Where is the brown stripe?

Here you can see some green

Mine looked like that until recently, will try to get a photo tomorrow and post. thanks for your reply.

Discovered something yesterday while I was on my hands and knees hunting.

Just as Jake was going in for the kill, he passed a few inches from me and I saw it. A reddish brown, almost coppery color on his back. I guess I need to pay more attention.

Beethoven doesn't have it. Shakespeare doesn't have it. Oh my! Ayla has it on her tail!

I need to do some research. I'll be back later with an update. In the meantime, here is Jake. The golden brown is quite visible

Jake as he stares down his vicious prey!

The victory strut!

Discovered something yesterday while I was on my hands and knees hunting.

Just as Jake was going in for the kill, he passed a few inches from me and I saw it. A reddish brown, almost coppery color on his back. I guess I need to pay more attention.

Beethoven doesn't have it. Shakespeare doesn't have it. Oh my! Ayla has it on her tail!

I need to do some research. I'll be back later with an update. In the meantime, here is Jake. The golden brown is quite visible

Jake as he stares down his vicious prey!

The victory strut!
Had hoped to get a photo today, but rainy and cloudy all day. I have 3 BR and saw it first on one, thought maybe she had bathed in Georgia clay. They live on sand but dig down to base and pull some clay up from time to time. But yesterday noticed all 3 had it and looked close and it is regular on the feathers….looks just like what your photos show. Interesting?

Oh did the Jake get the rabbit? Funny photo, you need share that one in "what is this chicken thinking" thread.
gig.gif

You see this rooster of mine? He's has NO Barred Rock at all in him. He's 1/2 Delaware and 1/2 black whatever-the-heck Tiny is (Ameraucana with Sumatra heritage is what she is, really). His barring comes from the Delaware side and you see the gold and silver and red in his plumage and his slender build comes from his mother.

Your photo here looked very much like Deacon-in fact, it could be him, if I didn't know better:

Last edited:
You see this rooster of mine? He's has NO Barred Rock at all in him. He's 1/2 Delaware and 1/2 black whatever-the-heck Tiny is (Ameraucana with Sumatra heritage is what she is, really). His barring comes from the Delaware side and you see the gold and silver and red in his plumage and his slender build comes from his mother. Your photo here looked very much like Deacon-in fact, it could be him, if I didn't know better:
Wow!! That does look like my Jake!! Are you sure no Rock in him!?!?!? Crazy!!!

Yep, I'm positive. His white skin gives it away. Tiny is white skinned and her egg is very similar to one of my Blue Rocks, whose egg I thought I had. But, Deacon would have yellow skin if that was the case. And of course, the only rooster in that coop was Isaac, the Delaware in my avatar.

Last edited:
Here's photo of my Barred Rock, Dottie…top chicken in my flock of 6 hens.

:

Born March 2013, was always just black and white barring, but now in a molt and white bars appear to be tuning a golden brown. I have 3 BR hens, exactly the same age, same hatchery source and all 3 are making the same change.

What do ya think…photo in cloudy afternoon.

My DH thinks they are just getting fall camoflage! Like deer do for the winter.

And she lives on sand, sand bathes in clean areas, brown/gold changes are not poop stains. She showed the changes first but other 2 have them also.

big_smile.png
and if ya notice, she's my avatar.

Back
Top Bottom