Are my calculations correct??

ethel2016

Hatching
Jul 30, 2016
Southwest Ohio
Hello everyone I'm new to this site and have a question for anyone that is willing to answer. I have a coop that is 4 feet wide and 6 feet long, I also have an attached run that is 12 feet long by 12 feet wide by 6 feet high. If I only keep my chickens in the coop at night and they have the run during the day can i have a maximum of 6 chickens in my coop? I was wondering if my calculations were correct for 6 chicken or can i have up to 8? Thanks for any answers in advance, it's just a bit brain racking to me.
he.gif

Oh FYI I also have 2 rouen ducks inside the run 24 hrs a day.

The coop should be big enough for 6 average size chickens. Probably too small for 8 of them. The run is big enough too. 4 sq. foot per bird in the coop is the recommended minimum and 10' in the run.

I think some of it has to do with how you arrange the roosts and nest boxes. I have 12 chickens in an 8 x 4 coop. They have the entire floor space because the roost are up with a poop board under them and the nest boxes are attached outside of the coop. On one end. The roostsare all on one level.

Also consider weather. Is the coop the only place to take shelter from storms or winter weather? How long can storms last in your area? During that time, they will be stuck in the coop, so you must plan accordingly.
I would keep no more than 5 dual-purpose breeds, or 6 Leghorn-sized breeds in a coop that size.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom