1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my chickens about to go broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Prestonsloan12, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Prestonsloan12

Prestonsloan12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    warrior Alabama
    Ok so i have these two hens that will sit on their nests for hours each day and most of the time not even lay an egg. What is going on they just started doing a couple weeks ago. [​IMG]

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    When they come off the nest are they all puffed up & clucking - if so they are broody. (wanting to hatch whatever eggs are in the nest). Some birds will continue to set even if you take the eggs away. If you want them to set & hatch eggs, give them some to hatch, provided you have a Rooster (eggs must be fertile to hatch). If you don't want them to set, remove them & put them in a cage with a WIRE bottom that's a bit off the ground & they will stoop in a few days to a week. Don't take them out to quickly, because they will go right back to setting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by