Are my chickens being poisoned???

KimethaBrown

Hatching
Dec 19, 2021
My flock went from laying around 10 to 12 eggs a day to one or two… They look healthy they act healthy but I’m just getting no eggs. I am wondering because we have a neighbor who does not like my chickens at all because she thinks they calls rats which they don’t because we keep rat traps out in areas away from our chickens where it can’t hurt our chickens to keep the rat population under control because we live out in the country. I am afraid perhaps my neighbor has given them some kind of rat poison or whatever that has made them sterile . Please help I’m at a total loss as to what’s wrong and why I’m not getting ages anymore
😢🤷🏻‍♀️😢

Welcome to BYC :frow

Where are you located in this world?

The time of year is an important factor, as in winter chickens will generally lay fewer eggs due to lack of sunshine.
How old are your hens? For the first year they might still lay some eggs in winter, but the following years chickens will usually take a break to molt and start again when the days get longer.

Welcome to BYC :frow

Where are you located in this world?

The time of year is an important factor, as in winter chickens will generally lay fewer eggs due to lack of sunshine.
How old are your hens? For the first year they might still lay some eggs in winter, but the following years chickens will usually take a break to molt and start again when the days get longer.
I agree. First year layers tend to lay right through the first winter. Some may lay the next, but many take a break when daylight hours are less than 12 hours a day. Many older hens molt in the fall, and may not return to laying till after the new year. If you want to turn on a small light on a timer for a few extra hours in the morning, say 5 am and shutting off at daylight, your hens may start laying again. Many people prefer to let their hens have a break and not add light. Mine usually started laying again in late Jan or Feb. Just be aware that they still need darkness at night to sleep, so there is no need for more than a few extra hours in the morning (total of 12 hours of daylight) to start them laying.

Back
Top Bottom