Are my chickens growing like they should? ***UPDATED PICS***

Crazy For Color

Chirping
May 2, 2016
Michigan
I'm afraid they are small for their age. The are 11 weeks old as of Monday July 11th, except for the Silkie he/she is 10 weeks old. Pictures below; What do you think?

Last edited:
Well they do look fully feathered in the way that they should be at about 10 weeks but it's hard to tell the size with those pictures as there is no good reference. The breed plays a role as well as genetics, sometimes chicks of the same breed and age will be drastically different in size from one another.

Well they do look fully feathered in the way that they should be at about 10 weeks but it's hard to tell the size with those pictures as there is no good reference. The breed plays a role as well as genetics, sometimes chicks of the same breed and age will be drastically different in size from one another.
I will try and get better pictures with something as a reference when my son wakes up =)

Here are more pictures with a 2 liter pop bottle and a tape measure for reference; hopefully it helps =) I would love for them to stand still without looking at the ground right next to the tape measure but that sure isn't going to happen! LOL!

These are my 12 week olds.Your chicks look a bit small but it's really hard to tell from the pictures.

Last edited:
That's better but still sort of hard to guage their size. I can see clearly one is standing in front of the tape measure and looks to be about 8 inches tall, which is normal size, maybe a teeny bit small for 11 weeks. However, if they are still growing and are fully feathered, active and eating and drinkimg normally then there isn't much cause for alarm. Maybe give them some probiotics and plain scrambled eggs for a week or so, this will be a good protein and immune booster (if you haven't already), and see if anything changes. Sometimes parasites in the gut can stunt growth, and the probiotics may help with that. I use garlic to rid of parasites, one average sized clove per gallon of water. Make sure it's chopped or crushed, the sulfur compounds will be more easily released this way, and act as an antiparasitic agent as well as an antibiotic. The amount of garlic might differ for chicks and I do not know how much, so you could check on that. Keep in mind that the antiparasitic benefits only last for roughly 24 hours or so after adding the garlic to the water.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
That's better but still sort of hard to guage their size. I can see clearly one is standing in front of the tape measure and looks to be about 8 inches tall, which is normal size, maybe a teeny bit small for 11 weeks. However, if they are still growing and are fully feathered, active and eating and drinkimg normally then there isn't much cause for alarm. Maybe give them some probiotics and plain scrambled eggs for a week or so, this will be a good protein and immune booster (if you haven't already), and see if anything changes. Sometimes parasites in the gut can stunt growth, and the probiotics may help with that. I use garlic to rid of parasites, one average sized clove per gallon of water. Make sure it's chopped or crushed, the sulfur compounds will be more easily released this way, and act as an antiparasitic agent as well as an antibiotic. The amount of garlic might differ for chicks and I do not know how much, so you could check on that. Keep in mind that the antiparasitic benefits only last for roughly 24 hours or so after adding the garlic to the water.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much! I will try your suggestions and stop worrying
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom