Are my chickens overeating?

axelsangel

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 20, 2013
South Carolina
I have 10 chickens, 6 of them are laying. They have to stay in a coop and run due to the city ordinance and Im worried they are overeating with their feed. We have a 3 gallon bucket that my husband made into a auto feeder. I went out to fill it up this morning at about 10:30am, I just went out at 3:30pm to take them a flock block that I attempted earlier today and noticed the feeder is almost empty already. To me that seems like a lot of feed for 10 chickens to eat in that little bit of time. Are they overeating or is that normal?

Ten birds should be eating around 4 cups of feed a day (someone check my math, I have chemo-brain lol). Even confined birds aren't going to over eat that much, chickens are actually pretty good about self regulating. They're either tossing it on the ground or your have a thief.

Should you just let chickens eat as much food as they want from an auto feeder? Keep food in front of them 24/7?

That is a lot of feed to be consumed by 10 chickens in that length of time. I would definitely think it is going elsewhere (scratched onto the ground/thief). We place a container of feed out daily for our 10 (7 standard/3 bantam) hens. They consume what they need. I've never noticed them eating too much. We initially lost quite a bit of feed due to them beaking and scratching feed out onto the ground from their hangng feeder. -hubby built a tray to place underneath it, and this eliminated wasted feed. If, however, you aren't noticing feed on the ground then I would keep an eye out for it disappearing elsewhere.

Should you just let chickens eat as much food as they want from an auto feeder? Keep food in front of them 24/7?
That's what I've always done. I top off the feeder every few days and just let them self regulate. I've never had a bird overeat or be overweight.

But, you should have an idea how much food is average for your birds to eat to be alert for a huge amount of waste as the OP is describing. I personally can't afford to feed all the rodents or wild birds or squirrels or whatever in the area! I also hang my feeder high, so the birds have to stretch a little to reach it, this keeps them from tossing the crumbles on the ground so much. And if/when I do notice an excess of feed spilled on the ground, I just don't put more in the feeder until they clean up what's on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom