Are my chickens playing tricks?

they were 21 weeks yesterday.

Are they laying yet?

Point-Of-Lay pullets tend to spend time exploring possible nesting sites so if they are about to start laying they may be checking out the boxes and getting comfortable with them.

Do they need feed in their coop? If I put the food in, do I need to put water in too?

This is a matter of personal preference. I don't like food in the coop because I want them to be outside as much as possible and because my current coop is relatively small. I built a shelter for the feeder and waterer so I can keep them in the run: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/an-outdoor-shelter-for-the-feeder-and-waterer.76487/

What is the reasoning behind the CD's. I use those to keep deer away - so scary stuff, lol.

I hang clumps of weeds for them to peck at. They love it.

Last edited:
This time of year there IS something in the air. Hawks. Go ahead and get the baby monitor. I'll bet you will hear what they hear that's making them hang out in the coop. My girls acted the exact same way. They knew better then I did. They don't squawk or scream every time they see or hear something. Sometimes it's a very soft trilling. You will learn a lot just from listening.

This time of year there IS something in the air. Hawks. Go ahead and get the baby monitor. I'll bet you will hear what they hear that's making them hang out in the coop. My girls acted the exact same way. They knew better then I did. They don't squawk or scream every time they see or hear something. Sometimes it's a very soft trilling. You will learn a lot just from listening.
Thanks, good to know

Back
Top Bottom