Are my chickens too hot??

The roof looks like corugated tin. If there's no shade on it, it can get really hot. Rule of thumb is 4 sq ft space per bird, but many double that, especially due to heat. and 1 sq ft of permanent ventilation per bird, easily needing to be doubled in a smaller coop and a muggy climate. Glad your birds came out OK, and that you're observant!

I added another picture, and I have more ventilation which is wire that runs across the whole roof, if it’s still not enough ventilation I’d love to know, I really want what’s best for them all. I’m pretty sure the roof is just a corrugated metal roof but I added a picture of it.

That looks better. Do the wire covered eaves run the length of the sides of the coop? They look like they must... It looks like the corrugated, galvanized steel roof panels provide ventilation too.

I'd still consider at least one other window to get some cross ventilation and some floor-level openings to allow air to come in from the bottom to exit from the top creating that "vertical" ventilation. If there is little to no air (coming from below) to take the place of hot air at the top of the coop, then the vents at the top may not give you the desired "change of air" that ventilation is all about, i.e. trading warmer air for cooler air...

Last edited:
What type of roof and insulation do you have? My coop roof is corrugated plastic with no insulation. I just recently realized that's like putting them in a greenhouse, even with shade and ventilation. Believe it or not, simply securing a couple of towels on top of the plastic helped cool things down. Longer term, though, I obviously need to do more.
The greenhouse effect is a real consideration as UV rays are brutal...!

That looks better. Do the wire covered eaves run the length of the sides of the coop? They look like they must... It looks like the corrugated, galvanized steel roof panels provide ventilation too.

I'd still consider at least one other window to get some cross ventilation and some floor-level openings to allow air to come in from the bottom to exit from the top creating that "vertical" ventilation. If there is little to no air (coming from below) to take the place of hot air at the top of the coop, then the vents at the top may not give you the desired "change of air" that ventilation is all about, i.e. trading warmer air for cooler air...
Gotcha, ok so in the very near future I’ll add floor ventilation, definitely a thermometer, and I’ll consider a fan for the very hot days, I do appreciate all the help I’m learning more as I go to keep all my girls nice and healthy and comfortable:)

Gotcha, ok so in the very near future I’ll add floor ventilation, definitely a thermometer, and I’ll consider a fan for the very hot days, I do appreciate all the help I’m learning more as I go to keep all my girls nice and healthy and comfortable:)
Your hens will appreciate it. You can even do something quick and easy (temporary) until a more permanent opening is created: cut a hole out, then use screws with nickel-sized washers on them to screw some 1/2" wire cloth over the cutout. Make the wire cloth overlap the hole by at least 2" on all sides to leave room for the screws...

Heat is a killer. Cold is much easier to deal with, but even cold needs to be addressed from time to time...

Back
Top Bottom