Are my chicks okay?!

Emilykb15

In the Brooder
May 16, 2020
Back again with the “are they to cold, to
Hot, or okay” questions.

My 9 day old chicks have started sleeping at the end the of their brooder in a pile or a single file line, almost always facing the wall. At first I thought they were to hot, but they are pretty far away from where the heat lamp hits, and they aren’t panting, spreading their wings, etc. (and they continue to sleep close together). Then I thought, maybe they are cold? Sleeping on the edge... but if they were to cold, I would imagine they would move under the heat? Or on the edge of the heat?

These chicks are confusing me, and I’m a new chick owner. Just want to make sure they are comfortable.

I have pictures to show what I’m talking about if needed.

I'm raising baby chicks for the first time. My girls are 5 weeks old tomorrow. They love sleeping in a chick pile-up. Sometimes it's for warmth but mine do it for comfort even when they're not hot. Watch for contortions too. Sometimes a wing, or leg, or head will be all stretched out like someone flung them there. I've seen 2 chicks in a heap, and one by one the others come over and snuggle. When they're big girls they'll sleep close together on a perch too so this is just the baby version of grownup behavior! Regarding too hot/too cold, until they're feathered out they cannot regulate their body temperature very well. If they're feeling warm enough, they'll pile into a corner away from the lamp. If they're all in a circle under the lamp, they're too cold. We're in Northern California and our nights still are in the 50s and tonight is the first night I've thought it warm enough to not leave the lamp on all night after 5 weeks! Good luck!

Chicks will regulate their own temps. If you have a heat source and they don't take advantage, they are probably warm enough. It's their behavior that will tell you most, imo. Are they active? Eating, drinking, pooping ok? Free of pasty butt? Quietly peeping? If so, they're fine. Try to relax...

Oh, who am I fooling?! I was a nervous wreck with my first littles... And in a few weeks, you're going to have to leave them outside all night. Brace yourself!

Chicks will regulate their own temps. If you have a heat source and they don't take advantage, they are probably warm enough. It's their behavior that will tell you most, imo. Are they active? Eating, drinking, pooping ok? Free of pasty butt? Quietly peeping? If so, they're fine. Try to relax...

Oh, who am I fooling?! I was a nervous wreck with my first littles... And in a few weeks, you're going to have to leave them outside all night. Brace yourself!

😂😂 yes, they are super active. Trying to flutter around, eating, drinking, pooping. It just confuses me why they always go to the wall. There brooder is rather large so they have the option to go under the heat, on th endge of the heat, or away from it all together. Just trying to understand if they need anything. Also, no pasty but!! 3 days one had it, but we have been good the last couple of days.

I don’t even want to think of when they go out haha.

On the end with the heat lamp, at floor level, it should be the desired temp. 95 for the first few days, then lower it to 90 for a week, then 85 the next week, 80 the following week, etc. They will move back, and forth, but when it's right, they should sleep more towards the center, not on the hot, or cold end.

That’s what I thought, but they still choose to sleep on the perimeter in a pile on top of each other. The heat lamp is quite warm under there and I’ve left it on the warmer side because it’s still low 50’s and into the 40’s at night.

Here is an example.

Attachments

• 4DADF8AF-F1E5-483C-AA38-95484072A5E1.png
    4DADF8AF-F1E5-483C-AA38-95484072A5E1.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom