1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my ducks ready for a pond?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckU2, Apr 25, 2016.

1. DuckU2

DuckU2 New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG]Can anyone tell me if they are ready for a pond? (Of course they would be fed) also what breed?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    They both look like Welsh Harlequins.

What do you mean by are they ready for a pond? Do you mean you are going to build them a pond in your yard and you want to know if they can go in? In that case yes, if there is a way for them to easily get out. They look like they are just starting to get their adult feathers. This means they are not yet waterproof so their down can still get soaked. That can make it hard for them to stay afloat and if they get too tired they will drown.

Or do you mean you want to release them onto a pond? (I'm going to assume this pond would also be on your property as releasing them into the wild would be illegal.) My comment above about adult feathers also applies here. If these are WH then they won't be able to fly, even when fully grown. They will be easy targets for predators. If you plan to let them out on a pond you need to make sure you have a plan for keeping them safe at night. This means a floating coop or a way to bring them in at night to a secure coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by