Are my eggs hidden in the woods??

All good ideas. Be sure she has a nice comfortable nesting box that she'll (hopefully) grow attached to and only want to lay there. Some of my hens have their favorite box and everyone will squeeze in it all at once trying to lay their eggs first :p

I have 2 hens I'm convinced are laying in the woods. My girls won't lay unless there are real eggs in their nest boxes, and I think these two are even pickier than that. Mine prefer to lay in the nest with the most eggs, and if there is a hen sitting on top of them, that makes it irresistible; they will just climb in with her and drop one on top of what she's already got going on. When I've found their hidden stashes, though (usually next to house for the old ones.. these new hens are more sophisticated,) if I started removing the eggs a few at a time, they would keep laying until 1-3 remained, and then they'd catch on and find some place else to go. :he

But mine aren't laying right now except for one or two.. that's what was happening in the spring. meh.

Back
Top Bottom