are my flashlights too weak for candling?

ChickPanic

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2022
So, i was told my phone flashlight would be good enough so either im doing something really wrong my flashlight is broken or the eggshells are like reall thicc i also tried a headlamp i had lying around cause its real bright but i also couldnt see anything and i mean like not like its clear, its just all dark 0-o help idk what’s happening are they like good? is it a sign they are not good? (first time hatching chicks noone told me it would be so stressful) i am so worried i dont anything to happen to them tho they are not even born but it doesnt matter sorry im like rambling ill stop now but please tell me what to do abt it haha

its just all dark 0-o help idk what’s happening are they like good?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

What day of incubation are you on? What color are the eggs? Is your room darkened? Have you tried moving the light around for another angle, on the air sac side?

While my phone light is usually good enough.. others have told me that their's was not.

How long have your eggs been incubating?

Near the end of incubation, the chick fills almost the whole egg, and just looks dark (except if you shine the light in the big end, where the air cell is. That looks lighter.)

Have you tried candling a non-incubated egg to compare?
I have found this helped me recognize what was normal for any egg, and the comparison helped me understand what was happening (or not happening) in the incubated eggs.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

What day of incubation are you on? What color are the eggs? Is your room darkened? Have you tried moving the light around for another angle, on the air sac side?

While my phone light is usually good enough.. others have told me that their's was not.
day 11 :), well the shell color white and green but the light doesnt change anything just stays dark, yes ive tried alot

Near the end of incubation, the chick fills almost the whole egg, and just looks dark (except if you shine the light in the big end, where the air cell is. That looks lighter.)

I have found this helped me recognize what was normal for any egg, and the comparison helped me understand what was happening (or not happening) in the incubated eggs.
thanks will try the non one :)

day 11 :), well the shell color white and green but the light doesnt change anything just stays dark, yes ive tried alot
Then you probably do need a brighter light.

If you're using a flashlight, you could try putting in fresh batteries. Sometimes that makes a big difference in brightness and sometimes it does not.

Candling in a darker place may help too, if that is possible.

okay so, candled a non incubated one that i picked out of the nest today and it was normal like what i expected to see when candling like the light shining trough and stuff, but the eggs that are incubating are not the same as out chickens cause my mother bought them to brood (we only have hens and for now its like a one time first time thing to hopefully work)

Back
Top Bottom